• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

free agent DE --thread redux

Looks like here is who is still available, there are some others but not worth mentioning. 

Clowney-- would be solid, may be too expensive. i'm suspicious of his most recent year. like Kyle Van Noy and others (that are not free agents), that Ravens DL all had really good years, so hard to disentangle where the group gets the kudos or the individual player. 

Calais Campbell-- not really what were looking for, older than Methuselah

Carl Lawson--Oft injured, absolute model citizen, if he can recreate 2022 season could be a huge steal.  

Mike Danna-- 50 tackles and 6.5 sacks last year. Could do worse. 

Derek Barnett-- Nah, very little production in several years. 

Kyle Van Noy-- Older dude, but still produces. a 5-6 sack type of guy, but may be about to drop off. did well last year, but was an outlier on a great deep defense. 

Anfernee Jennings--more of a run stopper, but a very good one.

Bud Dupree--Trending down badly, quickly. former hoss. 

Yannick Ngakoue- Boom or bust guy, seems to be a sack only guy, not responsible for many tackles. Seems to hold up well. missed very few games. last year was pretty weak. 

verdict: If we cant get Clowney, Mike Danna looks solid. 

Adding Danna gives you two competent (and young) guys and three guys with upside (barro, chaisson, johnson). 

Edited by Panthero
  • Pie 5
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Thompcat said:

I think Danna could be a good pick up. As stated he is young (26 yrs old) and upside is real 

yeah, i'm honestly surprised he hasnt been mentioned more. He's not a world beater but he's competent and even though the rub is he's not a run stopper, i thought he looked decent in that category from what little game film i watched (not highlights). 

good thread. I think Clowney is still our best option but even he scares me. He has been highly inconsistent throughout his career and I fear being on the best defense in the league last year benefited him/made him look great. 

While being on our defense next year he will be pedestrian. 

Either way edge is now fuged with trading Burns. We basically have to hope an insane edge rusher is available in the draft next year when we are picking ~ top 3. 

I think you guys should narrow your search to young guys with something to prove and willing to take a 2 year deal befitting their current situation, and vets willing to sign the equivalent to a 1 year contract. That's about all this team is going to do in FA this year.

• Pie 2

10 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Derek Barnett re-signed with Houston

throw in Randy Gregory and Jerry Hughes as possible options 

i searched for all of them, didnt see that on Barnett. thx for sharing. 

lol. I'd sign billy boucher if i thought he could add 5-6 sacks. 

Adam Sandler Laughing GIF

3 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I think you guys should narrow your search to young guys with something to prove and willing to take a 2 year deal befitting their current situation, and vets willing to sign the equivalent to a 1 year contract. That's about all this team is going to do in FA this year.

Agreed, but the only guy (from the above list) who wouldnt be one of those is probably Danna. The rest i doubt they can convince anyone for multiple years. certainly not the older guys. Maybe Clowney can. 

• Beer 1

13 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Well our "#1 DE" isn't healthy enough to practice in OTA's...

I heard nothing about this until after we signed him. Not a good omen.

I get the sense our pass rush is going to be a heated source of discussion in the GameDay threads this fall. Especially if Burns shows out with the Giants.

We all knew this when we were discussing getting rid of Burns--and I agree with that decision based on the variables (cost mainly, but Brown has to be the priority) Instead of paying some mediocre has been  $ to come here and get 6 sacks, I would rather play the youngsters.   With Burns, Haynes, and YGM on the field, we did not get to see much of Barno, Johnson, and Leota.  We have had a few DEs who were very good (Charles Johnson, Greg Hardy) who did little until year 3.  Add a situational edge and lets start building instead of being a pit stop on the way to Shady Acres.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

I wouldn't mind people narrowing their search to the 3-4 too. 

Campbell is a 3-4 DE, but Dupree absolutely isn't (for example). 

• Beer 1

46 minutes ago, frankw said:

I heard nothing about this until after we signed him. Not a good omen.

I get the sense our pass rush is going to be a heated source of discussion in the GameDay threads this fall. Especially if Burns shows out with the Giants.

He was really bad last season for the Vikings. Really low win rate and success rate rushing the qb. If he’s the #1 de, then the panthers are in trouble. 

• Beer 1