• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Clifford is stepping down

I respect Clifford for stepping up and coming back to be our HC after Kenny Atkinson left us high and dry, but it's been clear for a while now that his time as an NBA HC has passed. 

• Pie 1

On 4/3/2024 at 4:30 PM, MillionDollarCam said:

Welcome to the Charlotte Hornets… where we won’t fire you, we’ll just reassign you. Clifford joins Kupchak on the made up title but still receiving a paycheck team.

Oh but we did fire Clifford…in 2018.  Then re-hired him in 2021.

I’ve said it before but you can’t get fired from Burger King and re-hired…but Charlotte pro franchises it’s no big deal (see also: Marty Hurney).  It’s wild this place.

It was a dumb move to re-hire him in the first place. They really expected him to take this team to the playoffs? Now if FO is saying that re-hiring Cliff as a placeholder until a great candidate comes along then sure I can get with that. But this team needs to tank to rebuild. 

• Pie 2

Nothing against Clifford he seems like a good guy and I appreciate his honesty.

This team desperately needs some new and real leadership though big time. Get a hard nosed coach/GM combo in here who are about basketball and who want players who are about basketball. Anyone not interested in winning basketball games and more interested in Instagram thots and flashy cars can take their services elsewhere. This fanbase wants a team worth cheering for.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

14 hours ago, Martin said:

What about Dawn Staley as a potential new coach? Tremendous college coach. Lots of energy and charisma. Probably a long shot, but I’m intrigued.

Would be interesting but Staley will never leave USC for the pro. She’s got too sweet of a deal there.

Fowler has a column for the Staley fans

Charlotte Hornets should hire South Carolina’s Dawn Staley as their next head coach

My favorite choice to become the Charlotte Hornets’ new head coach is directing a team in the Final Four this weekend. Her name is Dawn Staley. She lives 90 miles down the road in Columbia. She’s got deep Charlotte roots and she’s already won a couple of national titles as the head coach of the women’s basketball team at South Carolina.

Link

• Beer 1

24 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I’ll tell you one thing, she wouldn’t take any BS from LaMelo, Bridges, etc…

A no nonsense coach is needed. I'd be fine with Staley as coach if she wants the job. Ball has too many issues for Charlotte including not playing games. In the article Fowler points out that Hayward played more than Ball the last two seasons.

3 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

A no nonsense coach is needed. I'd be fine with Staley as coach if she wants the job. Ball has too many issues for Charlotte including not playing games. In the article Fowler points out that Hayward played more than Ball the last two seasons.

I had to check this myself.

Gordon has played in 75 games the last 2 seasons compared to 58 for Ball.

Pretty fuging sobering.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 1