• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Taylor Motons Contract

12 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

He is not actually getting paid 30m. His actual salary is only a fraction of that. The rest is cap charge for all the signing bonuses he's already gotten over the years. I would speculate that his actual pay is less than 10m.

When people say pay cut, it often makes me wonder if they understand cap. We are “paying” Moron $17M per year, period. That’s his deal.

The cap hit is $30M now because we used bonuses to make his early cap hits way lower than $17M a year. His cap hit for 2021-2023 was $25M total even though he was paid $51M (by his average). That’s $26M we saved that’s hitting in 2024/2025. We can’t do anything but push that out. We aren’t a contender so like others have said, let’s eat it while we suck so we aren’t tempted to sign a couple guys to go from 4 wins to 5. Leave the future cap alone so we could afford a big splash when it matters. 

• Pie 3

14 hours ago, Adb6368 said:

He’s been worth it. The only player on the team you never talk about. He’d be a perennial pro bowler if he didn’t spend his prime on the worst franchise in the nfl 

You're absolutely right with the 'never talk about' comment. Moton was drafted in 2017 and is going into his 8th year, 7th as a starter... just a steady, high-end presence at that RT spot. 

• Beer 2

His cap hit is elevated because we have restructured him previously to utilize cap space and build our illustrious roster.  

We are currently doing the right thing. Need to eat those elevated cap hits while we are not in contention. 

I could see Moton being traded for draft capital next off-season, which would save the team about 5 million on the cap for 2025. 

• Pie 1

Let it ride this year.  If next year comes and we feel we are a couple of players away from being a contender, then restructure, extend, cut whatever.  No point in kicking the can down the road this year.  

And I don't see how we are 'handcuffed" by Moton's contract.  

• Pie 1

Can someone explain the reasoning behind not extending Moton? For how good Moton has been, how consistent he has been, his health, and his age, I don't see why we can't add a few more years onto the end and make it a true extension/restructure that fixes the lopsidedness of the contract.

I guess it's possible that he is just refusing to restructure/extend because he himself is in a wait and see approach for how things progress moving forward - you can't extend/restructure without the player agreeing to it.

2 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Can someone explain the reasoning behind not extending Moton? For how good Moton has been, how consistent he has been, his health, and his age, I don't see why we can't add a few more years onto the end and make it a true extension/restructure that fixes the lopsidedness of the contract.

I guess it's possible that he is just refusing to restructure/extend because he himself is in a wait and see approach for how things progress moving forward - you can't extend/restructure without the player agreeing to it.

I mean if you extend him, he will still want his money from his contract plus more to play more years IMO. I’m ok with just taking it in the chin this year if we have to. 

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I mean if you extend him, he will still want his money from his contract plus more to play more years IMO. I’m ok with just taking it in the chin this year if we have to. 

Yeah but, add another year tot he contract, give him another 15 mill and spread the hit across the years? Is that possible?

4 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Yeah but, add another year tot he contract, give him another 15 mill and spread the hit across the years? Is that possible?

Yeah something like that could work. I bet he wants more than $15 mill for one year. Especially with the cap going up. Maybe if he is still doing great in our new scheme we look at extending him next year?
I still think it’s a possibility this year but only if we need it. If some player becomes available we really want maybe we look at his contract then?

I would maybe offer him an extension now which includes restructuring this year's salary - improves the cap if we need it now and gets him extended and out of the way?  Only if we needed the space honestly....which right looks like we might.  Basically agreeing with you guys I guess

Edited by Stingray3030

23 minutes ago, Stingray3030 said:

I would maybe offer him an extension now which includes restructuring this year's salary - improves the cap if we need it now and gets him extended and out of the way?  Only if we needed the space honestly....which right looks like we might.  Basically agreeing with you guys I guess

Honestly, Moton is the epitome of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" idiom. I feel like moving on from him would cause significantly more headaches than keeping him.

I personally look at Moton as a borderline top 10 RT (hovering around the 10 spot consistently). But the difference between even the number 10 and the number 15 best tackle is bigger than the gap between the 5th and 10th best.

2 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Stop spreading cap hit. All that means is we would be going all in again when we can’t compete. We have him under contract for 2 more years, there is 0 reason to extend him now unless you are trying to contend. We are nowhere close to contending so there is no reason to extend to free up 2024 cap.

Have we learned nothing from the past few years? Our team is bottom tier talent wise right now. Making more room this year for free agents is a complete waste of future cap space and let’s be honest more wins makes our draft picks worse. Look at what extra wins with shitty teams has gotten us:

2019 - Meaningless week 17 win and we get D Brown (no offense to him) instead of Herbert

2020 - Meaningless win over Haskins a week before his release and we get Horn instead of the 3rd pick where SF would have showered us with 3 1sts+.

2022 - Meaningless wins get us to pick 9 where we mortgage our future to move up 8 spots

It is so frustrating to see these suggestions, not just yours, because the cap splurges on shitty players and trades, in part to winning that extra feel good game, have crippled this team where we are all but guaranteed to have an 8-10+ stretch of losing records. I’m still not feeling great about Morgan yet because he came from the same organization that didn’t get this for 6 years of losing so far.

• Pie 1