• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2024 Mock Draft Report 6.0

3 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

Not a big fan of any of these pairings

I find it interesting that a lot of places have us taking WR and CB instead of WR and Center

I like one or the other in the pairings, but the Walter football, I dislike both. Smith-Wade in the 2nd round is a joke.  He's routinely mocked as a day 3 guy.

39 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

It's all over the place.  Should make it fun. 

Excited to see the reactions in this joint come next Friday haha

The best one from last year was DJ Johnson. Every panther channel I followed who reacted to it live were genuinely thrown off by it and I was too. Even among some of the draft heads this pick seemed to come out of left field.

Also to some degree not many were expecting Mingo either.  

Bryce was a boring pick because there had been too many different rumors 3 weeks and less leading to draft day. I do remember seeing a dude there on draft day wearing a Panthers jersey with "Stroud" on it, people were laughing at him but in hindsight its not so funny anymore. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

The best one from last year was DJ Johnson. Every panther channel I followed who reacted to it live were genuinely thrown off by it and I was too. Even among some of the draft heads this pick seemed to come out of left field.

Also to some degree not many were expecting Mingo either.  

Bryce was a boring pick because there had been too many different rumors 3 weeks and less leading to draft day. I do remember seeing a dude there on draft day wearing a Panthers jersey with "Stroud" on it, people were laughing at him but in hindsight its not so funny anymore. 

Mingo was hyped, and honestly, an internet fave because of his size & DK comps (even if they didn't hold a tone of water), but I don't think people anticipated he'd be as high as 39.  

DJJ was the one where everyone was truly like "who?" and being a trade up, it still just felt so unecessary.  Oh..a 25 y/o guy OLB who's only played the position for a year, little to no production w/character concerns...but he can set the edge.  Nice.  

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Mingo was hyped, and honestly, an internet fave because of his size & DK comps (even if they didn't hold a tone of water), but I don't think people anticipated he'd be as high as 39.  

DJJ was the one where everyone was truly like "who?" and being a trade up, it still just felt so unecessary.  Oh..a 25 y/o guy OLB who's only played the position for a year, little to no production w/character concerns...but he can set the edge.  Nice.  

I don't even think Mingo was an "Internet fave," but I do think he was a known quantity. He was also over-drafted to a sizable degree as most mocks I saw had him as a third rounder. To put him in his best position to succeed, we maybe should use him in the slot (like I believe that Pittsburgh wanted to do or would have done).

Edited by top dawg

1 hour ago, Hoenheim said:

Not a big fan of any of these pairings

I find it interesting that a lot of places have us taking WR and CB instead of WR and Center

It’s better value at a more significant position at a position of need in a good range that will have guys available who got pushed down 

28 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Yeah, I had no idea who DJ Johnson even was then when I looked up that he was 25 years old and had bounced all over the roster with minimal pass rushing experience and production it was a real WTF moment. Just a 100% measurables pick. Which is also why he'd bounced all over the roster in college, just a coaching staff trying to find a fit for a talented athlete with nothing sticking.

17 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I don't even think Mingo was an "Internet fave," but I do think he was a known quantity. He was also over-drafted to a sizable degree as most mocks I saw had him as a third rounder. To put him in his best position to succeed, we maybe should use him in the slot (like I believe that Pittsburgh wanted to do or would have done).

He had a lot of buzz around him due to his potential.  Included the size and speed combo, coming from the same program that produced Brown and Metcalf, 50/50 ball capabilities, lots of the YT "scouting" channels really hyped him and he was liked by a wide range of folks on team boards around the league.  

Also had a ton of visits lined up, there wasn't much proven given the OIe Miss offense he was in, just one year of real production in it catching balls from Dart.     

22 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, I had no idea who DJ Johnson even was then when I looked up that he was 25 years old and had bounced all over the roster with minimal pass rushing experience and production it was a real WTF moment. Just a 100% measurables pick. Which is also why he'd bounced all over the roster in college, just a coaching staff trying to find a fit for a talented athlete with nothing sticking.

Reminds me of Legette, DJ was worse, but still.  Legette is an older prospect who did absolutely nothing until his 5th year of college and people still want to sell as raw.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

Reminds me of Legette, DJ was worse, but still.  Legette is an older prospect who did absolutely nothing until his 5th year of college and people still want to sell as raw.

Yeah, when you're having to pitch potential on a COVID bonus year prospect that's a massive red flag. When you didn't show up in college until you were the age of a lot of 2nd or even 3rd year NFL players... uh oh.

To put it into perspective, DJ Johnson is only six months younger than Brian Burns.