• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Charlotte Observer mock by Mike Kaye 2 days ago

High level.  If anyone wants the detail, I’ll add it 

Second round (33rd overall pick): Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson

Trade: CAR trades 39th overall (via NYG) to CLE for 54th and 85th overall picks

Second round (54th overall pick via CLE): Ja’Tavion Sanders, TE, Texas

Third round (65th overall pick): Jalen McMillan, WR, Washington

Third round (85th overall pick via CLE): Jaylen Wright, RB, Tennessee

Fourth round (101st overall): Marist Liufau, LB, Notre Dame

Fifth round (141st overall via NYG): Tanor Bortolini, C, Wisconsin

Fifth round (142nd overall via TEN): Cornelius Johnson, WR, Michigan

Seventh round (240th overall pick via PIT): Khalid Duke, OLB, Kansas State

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Kaye thinks that corner is our biggest need, so no surprise. I just have a difficult time believing that Wiggins is going to be the BPA.

If Ladd and/or AD Mitchell are available at 33, they have to take one of them. Unless Charles Woodson got cloned and delivered as a 21 years old, the pick should not be a CB. Edge rusher? Maybe. WR or edge rusher only with that pick. 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Donald LaFell said:

It’s probably dumb but I think BPA is a mistake. Support your QB or bust. Don’t leave room for excuses. Draft for need and keep your QB upright, give him playmakers. 

You know... 

Panthers decided to skimp on the last #1 pick in the draft QB this team had. Squandered an opportunity for a dynasty, because they wanted to control the clock. Rivera...

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

If Ladd and/or AD Mitchell are available at 33, they have to take one of them. Unless Charles Woodson got cloned and delivered as a 21 years old, the pick should not be a CB. Edge rusher? Maybe. WR or edge rusher only with that pick. 

For me, it just depends who's there. I'm not against a CB at 33 (if Kool-Aid is there, I think we'd have to pick him), but a corner who is weak against the run just doesn't do it for me. 39? Maybe. There are some questions about EDGE defenders after the top 3 or 4, and the same can be said of receivers. Big names like Chop Robinson or Xavier Worthy aren't locks in the pros. They have to be developed. I can make an argument that Wiggins is more of a sure thing at his position than many of the receivers or EDGE rushers at the top part of the second.

Edited by top dawg

I don't get it. So the Panthers should just keep building up a top 5 defense (by yards allowed), so they can keep losing games because they can't score more than 10 points? That just doesn't compute. And losing Burns, Henderson, Luvu and Bell doesn't make that big of a difference taking into account who was picked up in FA on defense. The defense has already gotten better personnel-wise IMHO. Much better actually. 

Edited by Navy_football
the defense lost Donte Jackson too. He was solid in my opinion.

NFL.com draft had this to say about Nate Wiggins

“He has better physical talent than Devon Witherspoon, but he doesn’t have that same level of dog in him. That’s probably the biggest difference right now. I think Wiggins is the better prospect, though.” - NFC national scout

Obviously the NFC scout is Dan Morgan so we're not drafting Wiggins.

• Pie 2

Posted (edited)

we know The Panthers have empty spots

but here’s two that are overlooked with the WR focus 

CB      plus Horn’s 5th year option looms post draft and we all know he cannot stay healthy or hasn’t to this point   It’s a long season to not have at least 4 reliable / serviceable corners 

TE.  Roster right now is Tremble and Hunt. I love Tommy but look for a TE in the 3rd, 4th at the latest   Most great teams in the modern area has a star TE.   We used to have one, and once had two….

Edited by raleigh-panther

5 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

High level.  If anyone wants the detail, I’ll add it 

Second round (33rd overall pick): Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson

Wiggins reminds me of CJ Henderson-- and that is just me, but we need a CB who is strong in run support.  My view is that he is not worth the pick--others may know more about him, but I am praying he is drafted in round 1.  Secondly, if CB is on the board at #33 and a top WR is on the board, we go WR.  If Chop is here, we go Chop, imo, and that screws up everything on my board.  I even think they could take Payton Wilson earlier than we figure.   I am guessing the pick is Ladd or Chop.

Trade: CAR trades 39th overall (via NYG) to CLE for 54th and 85th overall picks

I think there will be a trade back, but I think it will be #33, just because I see teams going after that pick for 15 hours before round 2. 

Second round (54th overall pick via CLE): Ja’Tavion Sanders, TE, Texas

Sanders is no Bowers, but who is?  I think he is the one player in this draft who will upgrade us the most---if we pass on him, the TE position stays below mediocre.   We may take him at #39.  We had him in for a visit.  Not a great blocker, but with Thomas and Tremble, we do not really need it as much.

Third round (65th overall pick): Jalen McMillan, WR, Washington  This would be a good pick, I keep mocking a LB or CB here.  Who knows?

Third round (85th overall pick via CLE): Jaylen Wright, RB, Tennessee 

Fourth round (101st overall): Marist Liufau, LB, Notre Dame

Fifth round (141st overall via NYG): Tanor Bortolini, C, Wisconsin   This would be a great value who could develop into a starting caliber C.

Fifth round (142nd overall via TEN): Cornelius Johnson, WR, Michigan

Seventh round (240th overall pick via PIT): Khalid Duke, OLB, Kansas State

Good job and I see the logic.  My comments (just to share where my brain is, not to criticize) are in bold above.  Thank you.

• Pie 1