• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young vs Caleb Williams

CRA

40 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

Caleb Williams has more generational tools to justify his number 1 pick status. He has the rocket arm. He has better size. He has somr crazy pocket movement and moves. I think he checks all boxes.

not sure he checks the boxes above the shoulders.  Which is a big one.  

he seems mentally weak and a bad fit for a NFL locker room.  We have seen loads of dudes that have checked the physical boxes in spades. 

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, CRA said:

I just think where you go matters way more than some fans acknowledge.   I think Bryce's flaws were going to matter more in some places than others.  Given what he is, his offensive scheme and the skill talent were and are going to dictate his success.  We were a worse case scenario for him essentially.  Bad scheme, bad playcalling, bad OL and weak skill talent for what he would need to do with the ball.  He frankly probably overachieved given what he was if being honest.  He is built to be in a good situation. 

When you're very limited in the physical talent department you pretty much need a perfect scenario. #1 overall picks walk into far from it.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

When you're very limited in the physical talent department you pretty much need a perfect scenario. #1 overall picks walk into far from it.

I think Bryce would have done better in Trey Lances spot in SF.....and Trey Lance would have done better in Bryce's landing spot.  Better might need a disclaimer in terms of Lance.  Probably higher highs and lower lows. 

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Granted its the bears but they have a foundation that is set up nicely and a ton of capital to elevate their roster

7 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

Bryce comes off as a confident leader. He sheltered his team in the media over and over for their bad play, just saying that 'he needed to play better'.

Well gees kid, you had a terrible team around you. 

Now we have a better team and I expect we will see better results.

I think we are going to have a lot of people posting "I was wrong about Bryce" threads this season. 

I know he received credit for his maturity, but I don't think enough was said about his ability to maintain composure while trying to navigate the ridiculous circumstances he found himself stuck in last year. 

I too believe a lot of people will be forced to admit they were wrong about Bryce. I can't wait to see it.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

I'm hoping to see growth from Bryce. He's got the mental make-up to do it. Can he overcome his physical weaknesses, I've seen QBs that have, I think he can too. I'll be pulling for him regardless. With that said, I don't care at all about what Caleb Williams does, he doesn't play for my team so whatever.

35 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I was just really confused in his evaluations. Aside from mobility every other physical traits was subpar for the NFL level. Yet oddly seemingly everyone thought it just wouldn't matter. He was just THAT mentally superior. Usually draft prospects (QBs in particular) get absolutely nitpicked to death leading up to the draft. With Bryce it was the opposite. It was a neverending stream of excuses of why he would be able to overcome all of his shortcomings. Never seen anything like it. 

It really was crazy. The NFL hype on him was nuts. And I think for our FO, we basically outsmarted ourselves. Some of that has to do with Tepper going against the grain and wanting show how much of a genius he is. Stroud should have been the guy.

I thought it might end up being an NFL horror story of sending an undersized kid to get crushed as first overall. I'll give him this though he is tough as nails. 

This season will give us a better measure of where he's at, I think. I was hoping he'd come back a little bigger muscle wise though. 

16 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

I'm hoping to see growth from Bryce. He's got the mental make-up to do it. Can he overcome his physical weaknesses, I've seen QBs that have, I think he can too. I'll be pulling for him regardless. With that said, I don't care at all about what Caleb Williams does, he doesn't play for my team so whatever.

well, I just mention it because it's technically our pick and links to us.... and it will be something folks talk about down the road. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, CRA said:

well, I just mention it because it's technically our pick and links to us.... and it will be something folks talk about down the road. 

Yep, we're inextricably linked to Caleb Williams no matter what. Well, I guess unless the Bears throw a massive curve ball and don't draft him.

6 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

This season will give us a better measure of where he's at, I think. I was hoping he'd come back a little bigger muscle wise though. 

I mean to date, if we are being fair.....we still would classify as a bad place for Bryce. 

He is on his 3rd playcaller and 2nd offense in two seasons.   This season is an inexperienced OC and an inexperienced HC.   And the skill talent around him is still hopes and wishes in large part.   We are still sort of the poster org for what you shouldn't be doing w/ a QB like Bryce. 

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep, we're inextricably linked to Caleb Williams no matter what.

Just like Hornets fans are the only fanbase that cares that the Hornets traded Kobe on draft night, the only people who are gonna care about Caleb being drafted with our pick are on this board. It's barely ever mentioned even now and it'll just be a trivia fact as time goes on. No one cares about the Panthers.

I’m not as down on Caleb as some, I think he is going into a better situation with DJ, Allen, Kmet, a better OL, plus other weapons they will draft. I don’t think he is some generational talent but think he can have a decent career.

I do think this class is severely overhyped like that 2021 class was. Daniels, Penix, and Nix are all older QBs with Nix and Penix struggling at their old schools. McCarthy played well but limited in a run first offense with a great defense. Maye is still a little raw but could develop nicely if he goes to the right team. If Minnesota gets Maye I think he could have a good career. 

54 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

Time will tell, but I think the best quarterback to come out of this class will be Michael Penix. But yes, it definitely seems like Caleb Williams is going to be a difficult personality to mesh with an NFL locker room.

This is my sleeper as well if you can even call him that. If he gets the anti Reich who doesn’t try to force an arcane style of play and adapts to him being a left he can succeed. I expect him to go early 20s, but Denver to trade in around 27-28 if he’s there. Payton has never had someone who excels downfield as much as Penix and I think he feels he is a good enough coach to teach the short and mid range that made Brees so fuggin effective 

Just now, jb2288 said:

This is my sleeper as well if you can even call him that. If he gets the anti Reich who doesn’t try to force an arcane style of play and adapts to him being a left he can succeed. I expect him to go early 20s, but Denver to trade in around 27-28 if he’s there. Payton has never had someone who excels downfield as much as Penix and I think he feels he is a good enough coach to teach the short and mid range that made Brees so fuggin effective 

I'd love to see Penix go to the Vikings. With those receiving weapons and a coach who specializes in QBs? Oof. Reminiscent of Randall Cunningham with Moss and Carter.