• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why Corbett (and Brady Christensen) will make good Centers

MHS831

4 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

Appreciate the write up but all I can remember is a similar lengthy post telling us about why we Elflein and Erving will be better than we think. I also remember something about a 1000 yards and TMJ. Anyway, good write up but now I’m worried about C and I already was worried about not getting a rookie to develop for next year. This is the last contract year for both Corbett and BC.

If you remember stuff like that and attribute it to me, yikes.  There has to be a toll free number for you to call.  I did not write this article.  I shared it.  Aside from that, thanks for the acknowledgement.  Nobody here is right all the time--the GMs miss most of the time--keeping score is pretty pointless.

• Beer 1

9 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Here's what you get when you try to skimp at center. Cadence is a huge deal and you can't learn it mid game. That's why they clap in college ball

Related to this, I would like to see us speed up the pace of the offense this year.  Folks, I have seen guys switch from G to C midweek in college and they did great.  These are pros.  Cadence can change from QB to QB, and most of the time, the best QBs alter their cadence--hand clapping does not allow for voice inflections (think Aaron Rodgers) to get the line to jump--yes, you can clap twice, but it is hard to simulate an emphatic slap like a voice command.  To me, the biggest challenge is knowing what the D is going to do presnap and adjusting the blocking scheme accordingly.  Once you ID the Mike, the OL then knows their scheme responsibilities and how to adjust should the defense disguise a blitz or stunt etc.  That is the hard part.  Corbett has been beside the center for year and I am sure a lot has rubbed off during that time.  In fact, one college we faced had both guards calling schemes and not the center--play side was the hot call and the guard away from play side called the dummy or decoy calls.  The center simply identified the Mike.  Not sure why they did it--maybe the center was a reserve and unsure.

It is very easy if you isolate on one position and ignore the salary cap and other needs. No NFL roster is without weaknesses or areas they would like to address.  This year, we had to address G, G, C, TE, RB, WR, WR, Edge, Edge, DT, DE, ILB, CB, CB, and S.  So we may have some bumps in the road at C due to the circumstances--the point here is to suggest that the problems are not that difficult to overcome, and the downside is you get a 7-year veteran OL switching positions.  Not saying it is perfect--but I am saying that I may rather have Corbett than a fourth round rookie Center.  How was BC's rookie season (3rd rounder?)  Ekwonu's rookie season (1st round). Zavala's rookie season (4th round).  Nah, give me the 7-year veteran who has spent the offseason learning the nuances of Center.  Let me spend my picks and resources on positions where I have no options on my roster.

16 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

If you remember stuff like that and attribute it to me, yikes.  There has to be a toll free number for you to call.  I did not write this article.  I shared it.  Aside from that, thanks for the acknowledgement.  Nobody here is right all the time--the GMs miss most of the time--keeping score is pretty pointless.

You need to relax a wee bit man. I’m not going to apologize for having a really good photographic memory. I’ve stored a serious amount of crap like this:

Your topic was on Elflein and Erving’s fit after Fittermagic signed them.

No need for me to call a number because it was your thread and if you don’t remember, that’s on you.

You might want to work on your reading comprehension because I said that your post about Corbett and BC at Center reminded me of your topic on Erving and Elflein. I was sort of joking that that topic ended up poorly so I was worried about the Center spot more now. Sorry, not keeping score at all, that’s you reading into it however you want.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

11 hours ago, WUnderhill said:

Good write up. While I agree in theory that snapping the ball isn’t that hard, NFL centers need to be basically perfect at it. Even one bad snap a game is way too many. I’m worried about the consistency of them not having the reps over years and years and the muscle memory to have an identical and repeatable snap. I’m also worried about Corbetts knees.

You gotta relax and worry less. These are professionals. They can snap a ball bruh 

• Pie 2

Also, if I was keeping score, I would have thrown this one out LOL. 

Happened to be one post above the Erving/Elflein thread. I do have to say the search function feels way better these days. Took seconds to search for you and Erving.

Anyway, just chill man. I don’t really care and wasn’t trying to knock you at all. Just posting that your post brought me back to the optimism about OL pre-2021.

This is from his draft / combine profile from NFL.com.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/austin-corbett/3200434f-5200-8097-d4cb-2bd53a7e3b55

Overview

Corbett won't blow you away with any of his measurables or play traits, but he's solid in most areas. Corbett is definitely sharp enough to move inside to guard or even center and has good technique, but his average to below average play strength and lack of length may be a concern. He has the size and talent to compete for a guard/center spot early on, but he may elevate above an average starter during his career.

Sources Tell Us

"He's smart and just solid all the way around. Long time starter in the league. I think he'll end up at center." - AFC offensive line coach

• Pie 1

59 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

You need to relax a wee bit man. I’m not going to apologize for having a really good photographic memory. I’ve stored a serious amount of crap like this:

Your topic was on Elflein and Erving’s fit after Fittermagic signed them.

No need for me to call a number because it was your thread and if you don’t remember, that’s on you.

You might want to work on your reading comprehension because I said that your post about Corbett and BC at Center reminded me of your topic on Erving and Elflein. I was sort of joking that that topic ended up poorly so I was worried about the Center spot more now. Sorry, not keeping score at all, that’s you reading into it however you want.

Totally relaxed.  Just not here to get into petty disputes with Captain Hindsight.  Start focusing on the Panthers and not the people who post perspectives and you will grasp the purpose of this board.  As for my reading comprehension--it didn't take me long to read you.

6 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Totally relaxed.  Just not here to get into petty disputes with Captain Hindsight.  Start focusing on the Panthers and not the people who post perspectives and you will grasp the purpose of this board.  As for my reading comprehension--it didn't take me long to read you.

No hindsight needed. Even with the flowery write ups those moves were bad at the time, just like how relying on guys who have little to no experience at a key OL position is very risky at best and downright negligent at worst.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

14 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Valid points.  This article to me explained why they might take the chance with 2 proven veteran Guards and focus limited resources elsewhere.  If you sign a free agent, you spend $10m more than you are paying Corbett and Christensen.  If you draft a C, you have a rookie QB on the LOS in front of Bryce.  Maybe this is their only practical option, since there were many other needs that could not be staffed by currently rostered vets or rookies.  For example, they wanted a "type" at RB.  I said it before--if you look at RB and say, "Chuba had 900 yards behind a bad line!" that would be a great point.  However, he was very weak as a pass catcher and pass blocker when he arrived--he has shown promise as a pass catcher and some growth as a pass blocker.  In 2023, one site rated him the 25th best overall RB in the NFL among the top 72 "starters."  https://www.nfl.com/news/rb-index-ranking-all-72-starting-running-backs-from-the-2023-nfl-season Brooks is elite at Running, receiving, and is good at blocking.  We are better, and the pass catching with his YAC keeps defenses more honest that Chuba did.  How many sacks came after Chuba missed his block?  I dunno, but I saw it more than a few times.  We could not bring in a TE to find a weapon for Bryce.  We had to draft one.  So we had to draft WR, RB, and TE because we had no real options.  So if you look at the big picture, based on the information in the article as foundational knowledge of the C position, the fact that Corbett has never played center is not as important as his ability to play it.  But yes, it is not a given and it is risky--but it is one of the few positions we could upgrade (since we signed 2 stud Gs) with players already on the roster.  It is not ideal, but rebuilding a team with so many holes is impossible in one offseason.  When you laid out the options at every position and looked at the available cap room, this is probably the best option for the Panthers so they can address other needs where there are no options on the roster.

Sure,  but you can spend limited resources and sign a middle of the road vet C to compete or just backup Corbett.  I’m talking just someone that we factual know can do the job.   Not someone great that cost money

I mean, we have the weakest C plan going into the season of any team in the NFL on paper most likely.  Coming off a year where the interior OL play prevented the O from even attempting to function on a high % of downs.   It just doesn’t have to be that way.  

I assume/guess Corbett got too much work to do right now to have a legit C on the roster.  A legit C with experience probably outplays him early and they want Corbett to learn and grow into the starting gig.  Which could happen.  But that’s still a plan with plenty to dislike 

• Beer 2

8 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

Also, if I was keeping score, I would have thrown this one out LOL. 

Happened to be one post above the Erving/Elflein thread. I do have to say the search function feels way better these days. Took seconds to search for you and Erving.

Anyway, just chill man. I don’t really care and wasn’t trying to knock you at all. Just posting that your post brought me back to the optimism about OL pre-2021.

Whew buddy I caught some strays in that thread just for suggesting we let Scott Fitterer prove any level of a consistent track record before annointing him.

That turned out well...

If You Say So Wow GIF by Identity

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, frankw said:

Whew buddy I caught some strays in that thread just for suggesting we let Scott Fitterer prove any level of a consistent track record before annointing him.

That turned out well...

If You Say So Wow GIF by Identity

Those threads are something else. Poked through them out of curiosity and oh wee mayne...

• The D 1