• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does anyone actually think Bryce will actually be good?

10 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Bryce absolutely has issues seeing the field. He isn't fast enough to pull a Murray or Wilson and create space for more vision. Improved footwork isn't fixing any of that. The new OGs may help with protection but I'm not seeing how it helps his vision challenges...that is if they find a decent center.

I do think there are limitations of Bryce in a traditional pro pocket.  I don't think putting Bryce under C and asking him to play a simplistic traditional role is a fix for him.  We might squeak out a win we didn't last year but that's not developing him to reach whatever ceiling he has

I think he is going to have to be in the shotgun playing a little untraditional....you just need the weapon and scheme to make him dangerous.   He is a unicorn of sorts.  It's like asking Cam Newton to play the game as Peyton Manning did as a rookie.  You are going to have a bad time.  Cam wouldn't' of been rookie of the year.  He would have been benched. 

We drafted a unique QB....and nothing about our HC hires and offensive visions say we as an organization get that. 

I don't have a Bryce issue.  I think our org is clueless under Tepper and I think Tepper is creating bad marriages that don't work.

7 minutes ago, rayzor said:

that's what i'm thinking. and knowing our history, when  we have the least expected of us, we've always done well. where we've always struggled was when people expect a lot from us. 

i think we are primed to do....ok. not great, but have a much better year than most expect. 

also, we're in the NFCS...the most ridiculous division there is for the randomness of yearly results. with the exception of when brady was in tampa, no one ever knew who to expect to win it all because it was different every year. we were the first to repeat as division winners, but aside from that it was largely whoever finished last would somehow finish first the next year or something crazy like that. 

and then there's Bryce, who i think will do a good bit better this year. it just makes sense that we would see a good bit of improvement in him just from having a better OL, better receivers, a more decisive offensive plan and coaching, and a year under his belt. 

I mean technically winning 6 games is exceeding expectations so the bar is pretty low.

I don’t know how well this metaphor will land but I’ll try:

Building an NFL player is like the 90s era import tuning where an owner purchases a Honda Civic with hopes of modifying it to take on faster cars (mustangs, Camaros, corvettes, etc.) the engine is rebuilt to handle forced induction, and the body is build to support the added power aerodynamically. The owner might even strip the interior down to reduce weight, or add weight to increase traction. The car is taken to the drag strip to take on the cars mentioned above where it may beat them in a race. However, the owner of that modified civic forgets that those cars can be further modified, whereas the civic is already maxed out. 
Bryce is that Honda civic. 

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, rayzor said:

that's what i'm thinking. and knowing our history, when  we have the least expected of us, we've always done well. where we've always struggled was when people expect a lot from us. 

i think we are primed to do....ok. not great, but have a much better year than most expect. 

also, we're in the NFCS...the most ridiculous division there is for the randomness of yearly results. with the exception of when brady was in tampa, no one ever knew who to expect to win it all because it was different every year. we were the first to repeat as division winners, but aside from that it was largely whoever finished last would somehow finish first the next year or something crazy like that. 

and then there's Bryce, who i think will do a good bit better this year. it just makes sense that we would see a good bit of improvement in him just from having a better OL, better receivers, a more decisive offensive plan and coaching, and a year under his belt. 

I think, THINK, we’ll see see a team similar to the Texans last year. What I mean is no one had any expectations for the Texans especially not to be one game away from the AFC Championship. 
I think the team we’ll see this year will be what a rookie team should look like. Struggles at the beginning and they start putting it together as the season goes on. 
Would love a few quality wins this year too. None of our 2 wins last year were quality. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Manna said:

Building an NFL player is like the 90s era import tuning where an owner purchases a Honda Civic with hopes of modifying it to take on faster cars (mustangs, Camaros, corvettes, etc.) the engine is rebuilt to handle forced induction, and the body is build to support the added power aerodynamically. The owner might even strip the interior down to reduce weight, or add weight to increase traction. The car is taken to the drag strip to take on the cars mentioned above where it may beat them in a race. However, the owner of that modified civic forgets that those cars can be further modified, whereas the civic is already maxed out. 

Hm... Im not a car guy but I kind of get what your saying. So in other words...

Building an NFL player is like crafting the perfect ice cream sundae. Imagine starting with a basic vanilla scoop, representing a player with raw talent and potential. To take on the richer, more complex flavors (the elite NFL players), you begin to add layers and modifications. You might add a swirl of caramel (enhancing skills through rigorous training), sprinkle on some nuts (building physical strength and endurance), and top it with a cherry (mental fortitude and strategy). The sundae is crafted to compete with premium options like Rocky Road, Mint Chocolate Chip, or Cookie Dough.

But while your sundae may shine in its current form, those premium flavors can still be further enhanced. Rocky Road might get extra marshmallows, Mint Chocolate Chip could add chocolate fudge, and Cookie Dough might receive a drizzle of hot chocolate syrup. In the end, your vanilla-based sundae, despite its impressive modifications, is maxed out. Bryce is that vanilla sundae, perfected but limited in how much further it can go compared to the inherently richer, premium flavors.

13 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I mean technically winning 6 games is exceeding expectations so the bar is pretty low.

yes. i don't think anyone is going overboard on any projections saying that we're going to run straight into the playoffs and dominate everywhere...just that we will get back to almost average like we have been for a while and from there we can get back to being inconsistently being good.

i'm not ruling out playoffs, but only because i know we are in a stupid division and it's usually a matter of  one random turd floats to the top.  

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

yes. i don't think anyone is going overboard on any projections saying that we're going to run straight into the playoffs and dominate everywhere...just that we will get back to almost average like we have been for a while and from there we can get back to being inconsistently being good.

i'm not ruling out playoffs, but only because i know we are in a stupid division and it's usually a matter of  one random turd floats to the top.  

and to be fair, I would take 6 wins going away if our offense is top 15ish.

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, Manna said:

A lot simpler to say he's small

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, CRA said:

snip...

We drafted a unique QB....and nothing about our HC hires and offensive visions say we as an organization get that. 

snip....

On that, we haven’t seen anything yet that is absolute hard and fast. We have talk about 1 of 11, running the ball. Which does indicate a traditional approach. But they have to pass the ball and I would think you have to do something creative there and they know it. 

Or, maybe they want a square peg and are going to see if he can be that square peg and if not they are already to the point of if it doesn’t work then we’re getting a better fit to run it.

Like now though, they have to do their due diligence and give him every chance (which they have for sure tried to do). The big time investment in offensive talent and coaching. They gone above and beyond as they say.

I am here: Young was/is supposed to be ready to compete, on the level of Stroud. Better than, by where he was chosen. And Stroud didn’t take three years to show something. A year one ready guy should be completely proving it in year two. That is what we supposedly will be looking at. So okay, can’t wait to see it.

edit: and we cannot see anything real until pads are used and hitting and real pressure are factors. 

Edited by strato

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, strato said:

On that, we haven’t seen anything yet that is absolute hard and fast. We have talk about 1 of 11, running the ball. Which does indicate a traditional approach. But they have to pass the ball and I would think you have to do something creative there and they know it. 

Or, maybe they want a square peg and are going to see if he can be that square peg and if not they are already to the point of if it doesn’t work then we’re getting a better fit to run it.

Like now though, they have to do their due diligence and give him every chance (which they have for sure tried to do). The big time investment in offensive talent and coaching. They gone above and beyond as they say.

I am here: Young was/is supposed to be ready to compete, on the level of Stroud. Better than, by where he was chosen. And Stroud didn’t take three years to show something. A year one ready guy should be completely proving it in year two. That is what we supposedly will be looking at. So okay, can’t wait to see it.

edit: and we cannot see anything real until pads are used and hitting and real pressure are factors. 

are there joint practices this preseason?  When do they announce that?

edit- the jets practice was announced may 27 last year so I guess we will hear something soon

Edited by mrcompletely11

34 minutes ago, CRA said:

I do think there are limitations of Bryce in a traditional pro pocket.  I don't think putting Bryce under C and asking him to play a simplistic traditional role is a fix for him.  We might squeak out a win we didn't last year but that's not developing him to reach whatever ceiling he has

I think he is going to have to be in the shotgun playing a little untraditional....you just need the weapon and scheme to make him dangerous.   He is a unicorn of sorts.  It's like asking Cam Newton to play the game as Peyton Manning did as a rookie.  You are going to have a bad time.  Cam wouldn't' of been rookie of the year.  He would have been benched. 

I don't have a Bryce issue.  I think our org is clueless under Tepper and I think Tepper is creating bad marriages that don't work.

I'm not sure I 100% agree aside from he needs a lot of shotgun to get comfortable, but he is going to have to be able to line up under center as well.  Whether we use roll outs or deeper drops to adjust this for him is anyone's guess at this point.  

I kind of like that they are building an offensive roster that will fit 90% of QBs instead of going all in on creating a unique offense for a QB that we aren't 100% sold on at this point.  If we did create a special Bryce offense and he doesn't become the QB he was projected, we would be stuck with an unusual set of players on offense for a more traditional QB.  The route they are taking makes it easier to move on from Bryce if needed.  

• Pie 2

11 minutes ago, csx said:

A lot simpler to say he's small

Wasn’t my point. He’s already at his ceiling and there’s little room for growth if any. 
Still, I hope to be proven wrong.