• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Every Big-Time Throw from Bryce Young and CJ Stroud in 2023

On 5/15/2024 at 6:21 PM, Jackie Lee said:

CJ looks like he's golfing out there, nice form and footwork

That's also how Sean Payton described Bo Nix during their Rookie Camp. He said he looked like a golfer in that he just makes everything look effortless and that he's essentially perfected his fundamentals to the point that they are the exact same every time.

Bo Nix, in my opinion, will end up being the "steal" of the draft and everyone will wonder how he dropped to 12. Watching him this past year, it was like watching a coach out on the field just picking defenses apart. He may not have the physical characteristics of a Williams or Daniels but I believe his experience and mental accuity gives him a shot to be better.

I still think that Drake Maye has the highest ceiling of them all though. I said this after Week 2 of 2022 when they played in Boone and he didn't have a single off target throw despite being under duress much of the game. Dude was throwing darts. 

• Beer 2

On 5/15/2024 at 6:27 PM, *FreeFua* said:

Strengths of his that had a 100% chance at carrying over to his pro game. 

Was there literally anything Bryce did well in college that had a 100% chance at carrying over?

The UGA game from Stroud is all anyone should've needed to see.

Bryce had big moments but the biggest thing I noticed, and pointed out, was that he was always scrambling around despite having good protection. This was seen as a positive from evaluators but I saw it as a negative. He couldn't make plays, or throws, on time and from the pocket. People saw the scrambling and compared him to a mini-Patrick Mahomes because that works in college. It does not work in the NFL.

I ended up being right. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

21 hours ago, frankw said:

Has the definition of the term "big time throw" changed somewhat recently or?

Based on some of what I'm reading here one could pull up some of Teddy Bridgewater's Panthers highlights and spot plenty of those big time throws.

Like how 20 yards downfield is a 'deep pass'.

• Beer 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

Bryce threw some bad balls that would make that appear to be the case. He was often late on throws and Chark bailed him out several times. 

Chark bail him out? Bryce was having to throw precision passes while he was blanketed in coverage because Chark could not get open. And Bryce was trying to make something happen. Chark was making highlight reel catches because Bryce was putting it in a window that only he could get it. The only receiver that was bailing out Bryce was Theilan. He was the only receiver that was able to get open or would try to fight back to the ball

Edited by XClown1986

On 5/16/2024 at 1:14 PM, Navy_football said:

Didn't say it wasn't. Could be. I don't claim to know based on how bad the entire offense was last year. It seems pretty clear that you're convinced that any success would be in spite of Bryce. Any success would be based on the so called improvements - which most really aren't proven commodities. So back to my original point: do you just not like him? 

First off...you missed the point of what I said. All I said was the offense could be setup to not have to rely on bryce in the same manner as other qbs if its working. And Yes the rest aren't proven commodities but NEITHER is bryce so I don't understand what you are getting at there. Lastly what is with this questioning of if bryce is liked? Liked how? Personal or football? See thats the problem with fans like you, you are so invested in a individual you respond to any critsicm with "do you like him". My opinion on bryce is strictly football....I DONT KNOW BRYCE PERSONALLY so I don't have anything against him in that regard. Far as football I said from the start I didn't see him as a top nfl Qb and he hasn't shown me anything so far to say I was wrong so based off your question...no. Just like everybody else on here, it's strictly football. Asking if he is liked in that regard, it's clearly no. He hasn't shown enough to be liked on the field. 

15 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

First off...you missed the point of what I said. All I said was the offense could be setup to not have to rely on bryce in the same manner as other qbs if its working. And Yes the rest aren't proven commodities but NEITHER is bryce so I don't understand what you are getting at there. Lastly what is with this questioning of if bryce is liked? Liked how? Personal or football? See thats the problem with fans like you, you are so invested in a individual you respond to any critsicm with "do you like him". My opinion on bryce is strictly football....I DONT KNOW BRYCE PERSONALLY so I don't have anything against him in that regard. Far as football I said from the start I didn't see him as a top nfl Qb and he hasn't shown me anything so far to say I was wrong so based off your question...no. Just like everybody else on here, it's strictly football. Asking if he is liked in that regard, it's clearly no. He hasn't shown enough to be liked on the field. 

I interpreted your original reply as the team could have success if the new players and coaches were really good, AND they created an offense that didn't count on the QB being a primary contributor. Because you think Bryce won't be able to hold up his end. I think you confirm that above.

My only point is that I don't see how anyone can say definitively what Bryce Young will be in the league yet, based on his supporting cast from last season. And it seems those that have already decided that Bryce Young is a bust, likely just didn't like him as the pick in the first place. A little context for me... lots of folk here didn't like Cam while he was a Panther either. It had very little to do with him as a talent. And just for the record, I really am not invested in Bryce Young. I didn't want the team to move up for a QB at all in 2023. I thought 2024 would be the year to go for a QB. But when they did, I ordered the QBs as Anthony Richardson, then CJ, then Bryce. The disfunction from the front office, to the playcalling, to the scheme, to the oline and the receivers was just not a good situation. Horrible actually. Asking a rookie to perform with all that adversity is just not realistic to me, at any position let alone QB. So to me, the verdict is still out. I don't know if he can be the guy because the situation he was in last year was set up to fail from the start. In preseason, as soon as I saw the oline couldn't figure out how to even slow down the Jets' pass rush (particularly stunts) and the receivers were locked up like Fort Knox, I knew we were in for a long season. 

Bryce made some good throws for sure. But it was the sheer amount of head-scratching horrific Tony-Romo-playoffs throws that get us down. I did not watch many Texans games so I can’t compare to CJ but Bryce may be the worst screen pass qb I have ever seen

• Beer 1

On 5/17/2024 at 12:01 PM, CPcavedweller said:

The UGA game from Stroud is all anyone should've needed to see.

Bryce had big moments but the biggest thing I noticed, and pointed out, was that he was always scrambling around despite having good protection. This was seen as a positive from evaluators but I saw it as a negative. He couldn't make plays, or throws, on time and from the pocket. People saw the scrambling and compared him to a mini-Patrick Mahomes because that works in college. It does not work in the NFL.

I ended up being right. 

That Bryce game vs LSU is all I needed to see to know he wasn't it. I said in one of the threads that Bryce will be seeing pressure up the middle ALL THE TIME in the NFL. He struggled MIGHTILY in that game (and Texas for that matter) because of that interior pressure.

• Beer 1

17 minutes ago, Castavar said:

That Bryce game vs LSU is all I needed to see to know he wasn't it. I said in one of the threads that Bryce will be seeing pressure up the middle ALL THE TIME in the NFL. He struggled MIGHTILY in that game (and Texas for that matter) because of that interior pressure.

Yup. Didn't catch the LSU game but the Texas game had all of the same inaccurate lobs chucked up over the pressure, exact same tendencies. He just got away with less picks playing against 20 year old practice squad level db's

• Pie 1

I mean this one looks basically like every BY game vs an NFL defense. And don't say he didn't have anyone because Williams got hurt, Bryce threw the ball behind him which is the reason why JW got hurt contorting his body/legs like that to make the catch. It was like a friendly fire hospital ball. He had a clean by NFL standards pocket on that throw as well, no one in his face 

3 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

I mean this one looks basically like every BY game vs an NFL defense. And don't say he didn't have anyone because Williams got hurt, Bryce threw the ball behind him which is the reason why JW got hurt contorting his body/legs like that to make the catch. It was like a friendly fire hospital ball. He had a clean by NFL standards pocket on that throw as well, no one in his face 

Lol people like you are so silly and the only reason I seem to care to log on to post these days. How can you sit there and say Bryce was the reason Williams hurt his knee on that play. Maybe it's because you dislike Bryce so you are somewhat blind as to what actually happened? Not quite sure but maybe you should get your eyes checked. Williams hurt himself by trying to make a cut after spinning around to make that catch. Pause it at 3:24. Had he landed and ran like normal instead of going to plant his foot in the ground and make a cut he doesn't get hurt. Don't put that on Bryce. That was 100% Williams fault he got injured

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

Lol people like you are so silly and the only reason I seem to care to log on to post these days. How can you sit there and say Bryce was the reason Williams hurt his knee on that play. Maybe it's because you dislike Bryce so you are somewhat blind as to what actually happened? Not quite sure but maybe you should get your eyes checked. Williams hurt himself by trying to make a cut after spinning around to make that catch. Pause it at 3:24. Had he landed and ran like normal instead of going to plant his foot in the ground and make a cut he doesn't get hurt. Don't put that on Bryce. That was 100% Williams fault he got injured

I don't know why they won't just admit they don't like Bryce Young. Just admit it. No one will care, but just be honest instead of trying to convince everyone else to feel the way they do. Jeez.

• Beer 1