• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Goodbye chain gang?

11 hours ago, lightsout said:

From my understanding the side judge is still there 

Again side judge + booth official 

Again, officials. This tech is only for spotting down and distance 

So we will still have plenty of time for shenanigans from the refs even with this new tech, seems kind of pointless except in very specific scenarios

The “human element” in refereeing is the worst part of the game. Getting it out with absolutely not make the game less fun. It’ll make it more accurate and more a contest of skill rather than luck or popularity.  Bum ass refs and/or corrupt refs have been by far the most joy sapping part of being a football fan. 

• Pie 2

On 5/22/2024 at 4:46 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

The amount of corporate survivors out there who just hang on cashing paychecks by knowing the right asses to kiss, never rocking the applecart, learning some industry lingo, and just checking boxes is pretty staggering.

But that's what the corporate environment rewards. Fug that. Something has gone horrifically wrong for me to ever end up back in the corporate world.

I’d love to go corporate again but when it’s combined with bad people it sucks so bad. 

On 5/22/2024 at 6:41 PM, PootieNunu said:

Even for goal line purposes passing the ball negates the use of it because it wont be able to tell if the pass is caught or not, only whether it crossed the plane. 

That's where visual confirmation would still be required , but that's less subjective(most of the time)

36 minutes ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

That's where visual confirmation would still be required , but that's less subjective(most of the time)

Let's be real, it will only be useful when rushing the football into a pile to get the spot, otherwise the refs can do what they like.

Depends on the tech I guess

NFC would be unreliable beyond 1.5 inches so that would be a manual spotting of the ball and then the NFC could determine it it crossed the line to gain/endzone

RFID could do it - Active Reader Active Tag can read out to 300' but would need a battery in the tag so that seems unlikely where Active Reader Passive Tag would allow for a battery-less tag but would only be good for about 3'

Im looking forward to reading more and seeing it in preseason.  Ill reserve my opinion for games that matter until then.

On 5/22/2024 at 6:03 PM, amcoolio said:

I'm all for removing as much human ref element as possible. NFL isn't so bad, but some NBA and MLB refs/umps go out of their way to be egotistical and "i'm better than you, look at what I can do" like a macho corrupt cop in the south

On the contrary I think the NFL is probably the worst perpetrator. SB 50 was rigged for Mannings retirement, and to show a QB like Cam isn't allowed to win and dominate the league.

• Pie 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, PanthersATL said:

Biggest issue isn't whether the ball is over the line or not, but being consistent with ball placement when the player is ruled down

This and depending on how/where the sensors are does it change the rules from touch the line to touch the middle of the line.

Will there be sensors on both edges of all of the down markers or will there be only one monitoring the center line of the markers? Are the sensors in the base of the line to gain markers and in the end zone pylons or embedded into the field?

I have so many questions but Im optimistic

Edited by Cullenator