• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What Are You Listening To Right Now....

C47

11 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

I still have original vinyl copies of "Only a Lad," "Dead Man's Party" and their 1980 EP Oingo Boingo I purchased a gazillion years ago.

Danny Elfman has gone on to become a legendary score composer for both TV and the big screen. 

Always a great listen and show!

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/7/2023 at 12:44 PM, Anybodyhome said:

Wasn't this band the result of a movie or something like that?

On 11/7/2023 at 4:36 PM, jayboogieman said:

Not from what I understand. They were a New Jersey band that got tapped to write the Eddie and the Cruisers movie songs, which happens to be the most famous music they made.

Great movie

Song about the youth suicide problem within the indigenous population in Canada. The album he put out is sung almost entirely in his nearly dead ancestoral language (which is just a sad reality on its own...thanks colonialism).

This song is in English, but it'sfrom the perspective of a parent who had lost their daughter to suicide. The trumpet solo at the end was a result of Dutcher asking the trumpeter how she would react to that kind of loss and express it through her play.

A couple decades ago I was in a band with this phenomenal violinist who had an improvisational teacher at one point who taught her about trying to carry out conversations she wanted to have but had trouble having because of the shell she was in. She and I would practice together and we would try to have those conversations...of course it was me on bass who was nowhere near the talent she was/is, but she pushed me to express myself through my playing and I gave her a moment to deal with the things she wanted to sort out and it was incredibly powerful. I wish those had been recorded, but in the moment you fail to see just how unique  and profound those moments really are.

Anyways, that solo brought me back to that personally, but also is a beautiful example of how emotions, unhinged and unfiltered, can be expressed through art. Btw, Jeremy Dutcher's catalog is a great example of that as well. Truly gifted composer.

• Pie 1

• 4 weeks later...