• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Remind me why Marty Hurney should be fired.

beckersteen

Simple jeff otah trade away first round pick, Everette brown trade away first round pick, Armanti edwards trade away second round pick. Letting peppers walk for nothing,starting tommy jone way past his prime. and for what ever dumb thing he is about to do with deangelo williams and steve smith.

The GM doesn't determine who the starting QB is. People tend to both lump Fox and Hurney together and separate them in order to support whatever arguement they want t make.

For me the thing with Hurney is he throws tons of money at decent but not great players to keep them around.

Got no problem w/ the 2 RBs. They are the reason we won in 08, they are the reason we got to .500 despite horrible QB play in 09, and you can't hold 10 against them.....they don't have super powers.

Too early to use Edwards against him.

2-14 had nothing to do with him. Richardson is the one who created the lameduck enviroment with a coach/team on two different pages.

Please find me a consistant playoff team that has taken 2 first round RB's in 3 years.

It's certainly not too early to use Edwards against him. We could be looking right in the face of being able to do what the 2001 Chargers did, but instead, we have edwards.

2-14 has everything to do with him, as well as Big Cat, and John Fox. Are you telling me that if we had a QB on the roster worth his salt that we would have only won 2 games last year?

He should have been fired immediatly following the Brown pick, but instead I get to see Vince Young part deux this season.

Please find me a consistant playoff team that has taken 2 first round RB's in 3 years.

It's certainly not too early to use Edwards against him. We could be looking right in the face of being able to do what the 2001 Chargers did, but instead, we have edwards.

2-14 has everything to do with him, as well as Big Cat, and John Fox. Are you telling me that if we had a QB on the roster worth his salt that we would have only won 2 games last year?

He should have been fired immediatly following the Brown pick, but instead I get to see Vince Young part deux this season.

John Fox was the coach......Hurney drafting guys to fit a wide open passing offense would have been a complete and utter waste. He drafted guys like Edwards b/c Fox was leaving. There aren't a lot of Fox style coaches in the league therefore there aren't a lot of guys who drafted with an emphasis on the ground.

it certainly is too early to use Edwards against him....Edwards didn't play b/c the Panthers/coach were on different pages. Don't know what he can do yet. Edwards was not drafted for John Fox.

2-14 has to do with John Fox and Richardon being on different pages....yet willing to go through 2010 together.

Brown is still young. Look at Charles Johnson......it takes a few years to see what you got.

John Fox was the coach......Hurney drafting guys to fit a wide open passing offense would have been a complete and utter waste.

it certainly is too early to use Edwards against him....Edwards didn't play b/c the Panthers/coach were on different pages. Don't know what he can do yet.

2-14 has to do with John Fox and Richardon being on different pages....yet willing to go through 2010 together.

Brown is still young. Look at Charles Johnson......it takes a few years to see what you got.

Stop sucking on the ***.

When did I say draft offensive skill players with those picks?

No, Edwards didn't play because he is not good enough to play, plain and simple.

No again, 2-14 has to do with Richardson being a tight ass last season, Hurney not being able to field a "good young team", and Fox singing his swan song.

P.S. I don't care how young Brown is, he didn't fit our scheme then, and certainly doesn't now. He was an undersized DE on a draft day free fall that we just had to have, all the while trading a future 1st rounder.

Stop sucking on the ***.

When did I say draft offensive skill players with those picks?

No, Edwards didn't play because he is not good enough to play, plain and simple.

No again, 2-14 has to do with Richardson being a tight ass last season, Hurney not being able to field a "good young team", and Fox singing his swan song.

P.S. I don't care how young Brown is, he didn't fit our scheme then, and certainly doesn't now. He was an undersized DE on a draft day free fall that we just had to have, all the while trading a future 1st rounder.

You didn't but Fox has to have offense......Hurney got him the best backfield in the entire NFL. Fox could win with okay QB play, could get to .500 with bad QB play......Fox couldn't do anything with horrific QB play (who can?). But Fox doesn't adapt....and that aids to how his QBs performs. Everything is a square peg to him.....and he will make it fit in any hole.

You don't know how good Edwards can be....or is. Fox wasn't going to bother finding out. That has pretty much been confirmed.

Hurney was just doing what he was told to do in prepping for post Fox. Hurney ain't a coach and can't make Fox do anything.

Brown is a pass rusher......which we need. He just has to bulk up which ain't gonna happen in 1 year. People think Charles Johnson is the greatest thing since sliced bread.....what was he doing at this point in Brown's career?

Before you try and convince me he should be fired, how about running down what you think his job responsibilities are? And don't just list the ones you think he's bad at, ok?

For one, the bulk of the pre-draft talent evaluation actually falls to the scouting department. The draft board is set based on their info. For that reason, you can't pin draft errors solely on Hurney.

It's worlds better with Don Gregory running that show than it was Tony Softli, but still not perfect.

Well, I'm not sure that Hurney should be fired, but I can tell you what will get him fired:

A bust at #1.

two sides to the coin.

Trying to "play it safe" when your team is in desperate need of a playmaker and leader on offense....and passing on him

Do me a big favor. Compare Hurney's success from the period 2006 through 2008 drafts( I excluded 2009 and 2010 because it is too early to tell about those players) to teams in our division like Atlanta and New Orleans. How many of their players start or are still on the team compared to ours. If you do that, you will find that he does as well or better than they do. So if you fire him, then all of them would deserve firing as well.

The biggest difference I see between the Panthers and other divisional rivals is that they spent more money buying impact free agents and all have a franchise QB.

I will start it with Atlanta.

2006 draft

Round.............Pick...............Name................Position.....Starter

2..................5(37)............Jimmy Williams........CB............N

3..................15(79)...........Jerious Norwood......RB.............N

5..................6(139)...........Quinn Ojinnaka......OT..............N

6.................15(184)..........Adam Jennings.......WR.............N

7..................15(2230.........DJ Shockley............QB............N

Only Norwood is still on the team

2007 draft

1....................8(8)............Jamaal Anderson.......DE...........Y

2....................7(39)...........Justin Blalock............G...........Y

2....................9(41)............Chris Houston..........CB...........N

3....................11(75)...........Laurent Robinson.....WR..........N

4....................10(109)..........Stephen Nicholas.....LB...........N

4....................34(133)..........Martrey Milner.........TE............N

6....................11(185)............Trey Lewis............DT...........N

6.....................20(194)............David Irons..........CB...........N

6.....................24(198)............Doug Detish.........C.............N

6.....................29(203).............Doren Stone........S.............N

7.....................34(244)............Jason Snelling.......RB..........N

1.......................3(3)...............Matt Ryan............QB............Y

1.......................21(21)............Sam Baker---------OT.............Y IR 2010

2.......................6(38).............Curtis Lofton.......LB...............Y

3.......................5(68)..............Chevis Jackson.....CB.............N

3.......................21(84)............Harry Douglas.......WR............N

3.......................35(98)............Thomas DeCord.....S...............Y

5.......................3(138)............Robert James........LB.............N

5.......................19(154)..........Kroy Biermann.......LB.............N

6.......................6(173)............Thomas Brown.......RB............N

7.......................5(212)............Wilrey Fontenot.....CB.............N

7.......................25(232)..........Keith Zinger..........TE..............N

I am not a Falcon's fan so these might be incorrect. Please feel to change them as you desire.

Still looking at this- How great are they at drafting?? Are we any worse???

4 winning seasons in 16 years. Yes, he wasn't here for all 16, but any coach or non-player responsible for that (no back to back winning seasons, mind you) needs to be on the hot seat. Fox was shown the door. Why does Hurney get a free pass? WOW...he helped land some great players here!!!1111

So what?

Archived