• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hornets won't happen

Zod

Had the chance to chat with a front office guy for the Bobcats. He says all their research shows that getting the hornets name back won't be a profitable long term move.

He says once fans understand that its just the name they get back, not the history, they lose some interest. No Mugsy, Grandmama, Alonzo highlights. No team records. All that stays in Nola. It is still the Bobcats with a new name and a losing record.

Anyways, just a heads up, don't expect the name change.

That's bullsh*t. Not your story Zod, but their excuse... Cheap asses. We don't need the history of the old Hornets per se, it was about bringing back the name and being a new Hornets franchise. And whether they want to acknowledge the history or not "officially" it doesn't matter, because the fans would do it for them.

Has New Orleans ever honored Muggsy, Zo, or LJ? Not that I know of, because it wasn't relevant to them in New Orleans.

Explain to me why Muggsy is still associated with CHARLOTTE and not New Orleans. Why is Dell one of play-by-play guys?

That excuse is BS.

That's bullsh*t. Not your story Zod, but their excuse... Cheap asses. We don't need the history of the old Hornets per se, it was about bringing back the name and being a new Hornets franchise. And whether they want to acknowledge the history or not "officially" it doesn't matter, because the fans would do it for them.

Has New Orleans ever honored Muggsy, Zo, or LJ? Not that I know of, because it wasn't relevant to them in New Orleans.

Explain to me why Muggsy is still associated with CHARLOTTE and not New Orleans. Why is Dell one of play-by-play guys?

That excuse is BS.

All very good points.. New Orleans doesn't care about the history..

The history didn't travel with the team name..

I actually agree that a name change wont make a difference in long term interest and ticket sales. But it would be a huge boost for merchandise sales and exposure around town. I still think that a well timed name change (after the team turns the corner and starts winning games) would work beautifully, so they may just wait a couple years to make the change

Doesn't surprise me and I'm fine with it.

A bunch of the research was gathered from current season ticket holders, not fringe fans that would only start going regularly once the team changed names. Really, what did any one expect? They asked current die hard Bobcat fans about the name change, not the group of people that want it to happen.

Archived