• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Game Grades - Panthers at Bills

Zod

This game has to be one of the biggest heart breakers in Panthers history. Considering the large number of heart beakers, that is saying something.

Offense:

It may be quicker to say what looked good on offense. Greg Olsen and Steve Smith were worth watching. Tedd Ginn had some nice plays. The rest of the team was forgettable to terrible. Cam Newton had numerous overthrows including a quick out to Armanti Edwards that sailed 3 feet over his hands. That is a throw even Jake Delhomme would make at least 5 times a game. It is a real head scratcher. Byron Bell did not look like a legitimate right tackle as Mario Williams broke the Bills single game sack record while breezing right by him.

Still, they manages a couple of touchdowns and a few field goals, so it is not all bad news... just mostly.

Offensive Grade: D

Defense:

They won the turnover battle but again got winded late in the game. After holding the Bills to three points in the first half, they gave up big yards and points in the second. I was hoping to see several blitz packages but with the Panthers secondary depleted they did not take that chance. The front 4 or "Monsterz Inc" failed to get any pressure on EJ Emanuel for most of the game. Big talk, small game.

Overall, a better performance than the offense, but not good enough.

Defensive Grade - C

Coaching:

It is hard to remember a worse coaching performance in a single game. Ron Rivera was out coached by a rookie head coach and lost to a team who repeatedly tried to lose the game themselves with dumb penalties. It was like Rivera was coaching against himself and still lost. Shutting down the Panthers offense with a minute to go has never won us a game, yet it continues to be his strategy.

Rivera is 2-14 in games that are decided within one score. Thats all you really need to know.

Coaching Grade - F

To those of you calling for coaching changes, don't get your hopes up. It won't happen this season.

Click here to view the article

• Pie 3

Defense should get a "D". Pass rush was non-existent. They struggled on critical downs and situations (same problem for the last three years). As soon as the Panthers were up 14-6, the defense allowed the Bills to drive 80 yards for a TD. Finally, the Bills had no timeouts with a 1:45 left, but the Defense gave up a touchdown.

• Pie 4

That's the worst offensive line play I think I've ever seen. The right side, both Bell and Scott, looked nonexistent. It did improve later in the game, but that was with committing Hartsock and a chip block, lessening the number of eligibles on the offense.

If I were to fire anyone today, I would start with Matsko.

I thought Cam was really bad. But then again or right side of the O-line was really bad as well. But Cam just doesn't look like a good QB right now, regardless of O-line. He is staring down receivers repeatedly, extremely late on throwing the ball, and overthrowing by a wide margin when he does throw it early. He needs to quit worrying about the possible interception and make a damned decision with the ball when its in his hands. There are several examples recently of QB's with horrific O-lines who are still effective because they get the ball out and make quick decisions.

• Pie 3

I disagree with the D for the Offense, Cam composed him self and engineered some better drives end of the 1st half and 2nd half. And they scored 23 points which is much improved over last week. I would say a C.

6 pts was the D. They offense did nothing despite them setting them up.

Offense scored 17