• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deangelo Williams Hitting His Stride

Zod

Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson, Marshawn Lynch, Arian Foster... all running backs who are being out performed by the Carolina Panthers own Deangelo Williams.

Deangelo quietly ranks 4th in the entire NFL, yet you won't hear his name in the media.

Deangelo-Williams.jpg

Deangelo Williams

With the promotion of Mike Shula to Offensive Coordinator, the Carolina Panthers doubled down on a running game still being important in a passing league. A risky move, but it appears to have some early returns. The Panthers have the second ranked rushing attack in the entire NFL.

An amazing accomplishment given that Jonathan Stewart has been unavailable due to injury.

By far Deangelo's most efficient running has been to the left edge with blocks provided by Jordan Gross where Deangelo is averaging a whopping 6.9 yards a carry. Interestingly, his second most efficient running is behind the right guard, who this season has been a mix of players.

In a career with highs and lows, health and injuries, Deangelo has kept the right attitude.

It remains to be seen if a premier rushing attack can again elevate teams to the NFL playoffs. No one is more hopeful than Ron Rivera and Mike Shula, who have wagered on this notion with their jobs on the line.

You should go take Persons job. I'm sure he will pick up on the Forbes article and suggest reports of illegitimate children of Cams are popping up all over the QC. Your writing skills are adequate and your ability to find positives that require actually digging into. Plus they don't have to pay other freelance photographers when they have two in one.

As long as we can get the same consistency from our o line week in and week out, Deangelo will produce. We still need to make sure we are properly utilizing Tolbert each week too, he doesn't need to be on the sideline.

When Stewart comes back this season, I'm not expecting him to just slide back in immediately anyway. He's missed, what, all of training camp and preseason and hasn't played since last year? He's going to need time regardless.

At least that terrible contract went to a really hard worker and even better person. You want true meltdown- see Haynesworth

Can't argue that....

With Stewart's injury concerns (and contract) he could be the first part we axe....we might hopefully end up with Williams playing a Fred Taylor role here. Maybe Barner can be his understudy like MJD was .....the young talented kid next season.

• Pie 1

I sure wish you folks that claim DWill goes down on first contact would get a clue. If you don't tackle him, he keeps going.

He had one run against Buffalo, and two against the Giants that if not for a saving tackle could have been home runs. Both the runs against the Giants he was hit multiple times and still almost broke it. One run was up the middle, one on a pitch from Cam. So he can still break it from anywhere.

If you do not wrap him up, he is still dangerous. The powers that be want us to have a semblance of balance. So far, DWill has allowed them to achieve that. I can live with that.

• Pie 1

I don't realistically see how Stew is just going to jump right back in.  The dude hasn't even seen the practice field since November and he's coming off an ankle surgery.

Deangelo is doing fine right now, if Stew sees action it needs to be minimal unless he proves he's ready to go... no way in hell we should split the reps equally between them at this point.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/09/26/4344829/deangelo-williams-among-nfls-top.html#.UkWZBYbih58

“He’s just hitting the hole hard. When he’s going, he knows where he wants to go. He hits that crease, it’s one cut and he lowers his shoulders and goes,” Rivera said. “There’s not a lot of dancing. He’s very decisive. He’s got great vision right now.

“When a running back’s in a rhythm and has great vision at the time, he’s going to see a crease, stick that foot in the ground and go vertical. He’s not going to go side to side. A lot of his runs are not over here are not over here hitting this crease and all of a sudden coming all the way back and cutting back. It’s, I’m over here, I see the crease, I’m downhill, I go and I take my seven, eight, nine yards in a chunk. If it becomes more, great.”

Good comments from Rivera anyway
  • Pie 1

I don't realistically see how Stew is just going to jump right back in. The dude hasn't even seen the practice field since November and he's coming off an ankle surgery.

Deangelo is doing fine right now, if Stew sees action it needs to be minimal unless he proves he's ready to go... no way in hell we should split the reps equally between them at this point.

Well we need to give Williams, Barner, Tolbert and Stewart work when they return....and Cam needs to continue to run more.

Best rushing on Sunday wasnt DWill it was Newton.

Hopefully Barner can start doing a little something soon....I think once he starts getting on the field people will see there is a difference in burst and explosiveness