• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers - Arizona Cardinals Matchup

Zod

Here is a look at how the Carolina Panthers match up against the Arizona Cardinals:

Quarterback:

Carson Palmer vs Cam Newton. One is a pocket passer on the downward slop of his career. The other is one of the most dynamic play makers the NFL has ever seen. This is an easy call,

Advantage: Panthers

Running Backs:

Arizona starter Rashard Mendenhall is having an awful year. Last week against the Bucs he averaged less than 3 yards per carry and fumbled twice. The backup is a 6th round rookie. Carolina has Deangelo Williams averaging 4.7 yards a carry and features one of the best running games in the NFL.

Offensive Line

Neither unit is considered good. Carolina's saving grace is Cam Newton's mobility. Arizona's downfall is Palmers concrete feet.

Advantage: Push

Receivers

Fitzgerald, Floyd, and Roberts vs Smith, Lafell, and Ginn... I would take the former over the latter, as would any coach in the NFL. Jim Dray vs Greg Olsen? No contest, Olsen wins hands down.

Advantage: Cardinals.

Defensive Line

While the Cardinals defensive line is nothing to sneeze at, it just can't compare with what may be the best defensive line Carolina has ever had. Rookie Star Lotulelei is performing at a pro bowl level, making all the difference this season.

Linebackers

Daryl Washington makes his return after his four game suspension on Sunday, and will play next to Karlos Dansby in their 3-4 scheme. They will see improved linebacker play than against the Bucs last week, but I still would take Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis any day of the week. Moch vs Blackburn is a push.

Secondary

I'd trade the Panthers entire secondary for Patrick Peterson and Honey Badger.

Advantage: Cardinals

Bottom Line:

The Panthers have the better players on the field and given adequate coaching and game planning should win this game.

Overall Advantage - Carolina Panthers

Click here to view the article

• Pie 5

Do you really think this D-line is better than the Peppers, Buckner, Jenkins, and Rucker line?

I don't mean that in a snarky, sarcastic way. I am sincerely asking because I don't know. It is a close call.

Regardless, we have a beastly front 4 that is still pretty young and it will make this defense formidable for years to come no matter who is behind them.

Do you really think this D-line is better than the Peppers, Buckner, Jenkins, and Rucker line?

Yep, I really do. Its scary to think that they will be playing better by the end of the season as Star and Short gain experience.

• Pie 5

Yep, I really do. Its scary to think that they will be playing better by the end of the season as Star and Short gain experience.

Rookie wall with two players who had consistency issues in college. Granted that was probably mostly the fact they were playing 90 plus percent of snaps, but I still expect to see a bit of a drop off at the end of the season.

Next season I think they'll be scary good.

I don't mean that in a snarky, sarcastic way. I am sincerely asking because I don't know. It is a close call.

Regardless, we have a beastly front 4 that is still pretty young and it will make this defense formidable for years to come no matter who is behind them.

I'm not sure if they're that good, but they can be better.  That early 00's D line was pretty much one of the best in the NFL at that time.  They controlled the LOS better than anything we've had for the Panthers.  Our current line is excellent, but they've only had three games.  Let's review this again after the season to make a more accurate judgement.  They are the best D line we've had since that fantastic foursome of the past though, easily.

That said, I'm very excited by the prospect of them playing against Palmer and the Cardinals' offensive line.  So long as they play like they should play (instead of the usual post by flatness), it should be extremely entertaining seeing what they do.

• Pie 1

Rookie wall with two players who had consistency issues in college. Granted that was probably mostly the fact they were playing 90 plus percent of snaps, but I still expect to see a bit of a drop off at the end of the season.

Next season I think they'll be scary good.

Definitely see your point but I think you almost talked yourself out of the post.  The 90%+ snaps is a huge contributor in college and I think they have moved on to the next level.   In fact this may have been good preparation for moving to the next location.  I think a solid rotation we have does them a lot of good.  I can see some marginal fluctuations here and there but I do think they will be relatively consistent for the year. 

I whole-heartedly agree too.  This D-Line is ridiculously talented.  The 2003 D-Line, as awesome as they were, benefitted by the rules back then that allowed DB's to mug receivers at the line and within 5 yards.  It made the QB's have to hold on to the ball longer and gave them more time to collapse the pocket.

The rules almost universally favor the offense now.  Having a D-Line that can get the kind of pressure ours has with just 4 lineman is unreal.  I'm not taking anything away from 2003, but this year's D-Line is better and will be better as Star & Short get more experience.

How that translates as far as record goes remains to be seen.  The 2003 O-Line was light years better than this years to start.  So there is that glaring difference. 

People forget b/c of the awesome post-season when the Panthers truly played like the 2nd best team in football that year, but that year's team was not dominant throughout the regular season.  Most "experts" pegged us as an 8-8 team who got a lot of lucky bounces to get to 11-5 entering the playoffs.

The year has just started for this year's team, and so much can still happen.  A win this Sunday is paramount if this team is going to be a playoff contender.

• Pie 2

For what it's worth (not much IMHO), Prisco is picking the Birds 27-20.

How is Arizona going to put up 27 points?  That offense is in the words on their own head coach, "putrid." 

That being said, their defense is pretty good and I doubt the Panthers are going to put up 30 points either.

20-10, Good guys

How is Arizona going to put up 27 points? That offense is in the words on their own head coach, "putrid."

That being said, their defense is pretty good and I doubt the Panthers are going to put up 30 points either.

20-10, Good guys

There D and ST would have to be part of those points. Either scoring themselves or putting the O in automatic pt scenarios.

Which could happen

There D and ST would have to be part of those points. Either scoring themselves or putting the O in automatic pt scenarios.

Which could happen

Yeah that would be the only way but I just can't see them putting up 27 on the Panthers. The Panthers haven't given up 27 and The Cardinals haven't scored 27 yet this year and I don't see that changing this week. Their offense is inept due to a horrible line and no run game (NYG part II). Carolina's defense should have a field day with them. Just rush Carson and sit back and wait for him to throw the ball to you.. Hopefully Rivera hasn't had too much time on his hands with the bye week to find ways to screw this one up. As long as Carolina doesn't make stupid mistakes and avoids turning the ball over, they should easily take this game

But then again..it's not who you play, but how you play on the day you play.