• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Begin Head Coach Search?

carp24000

This is horrible to have leaked, seems like the FO has already given up on Rivera. Doesn't instill much hope in the fanbase either because it looks like they've given up this year

I don't think anyone is 100% committed to Rivera at this point.  I do think Gettleman truly wants Rivera to step up and be the man to lead this team long-term, but they have to prepare just in case it doesn't happen.  That Giants win was a good start, but if he can't string a few of those together, then the team needs to consider it's options. And the sooner they can start the background work, the quicker they can make a hire if/when Rivera is let go.  But I also wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't intentionally leaked as a shot across Rivera's bow...basically saying you are now in a prove it year, either step up or step aside.  

Gettleman has been here long enough and seen enough to have a pretty solid evaluation of Rivera as a coach (even the things behind the scenes that we fans don't see), so now he's out of second chances and it's win or your out.     

• Pie 1

Maybe this is being leaked to keep the fire lit under Rivera... a story was circulated that Rivera would be fired if we lost to the Giants and guess what, the team responded and hammered the Giants 38-0. These players care about coach Rivera and will fight for him, so maybe Gettleman wants to keep the gun to Rivera's head to get the most out of this team?

On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if they were lining up candidates... yes we hammered the Giants but the Giants are a crap team, Gettleman may have already seen enough and decided to move on.

RR knows it is playoffs or bust. Doesn't need his seat hotter.

IMO, this is a FO showing lack of faith in everyone when our season is very much still alive

In all honesty, RR is gone even with a playoff appearance. Would have to win in the postseason likely

Between Chip Kelly struggling and the Schiano fiasco, im scared of college coaches. I still say Lovie Smith, closest thing to a sure bet you will get in awhile. He can be our Andy Reid.

Shaw is more in the mold of Harbaugh and Carroll than he is Schiano or Kelly.

• Pie 1

It has the potential to be.

As an example, you're trying to negotiate an extension with Greg Hardy. Hardy, who likes Rivera, hears that you're looking into replacing him. That news may then become a factor for his decision making. Ditto other players who like Rivera (and remember we have a lot of one year contracts on this team). As you get later in the season, guys start thinking about next year anyway, especially if they're gonna be free agents.

Naturally I hope it doesn't become a distraction, but it most definitely could be.

That makes no sense Mr. Scot. Sorry...

But if those guys decide not to extend based on that, then they are off to an unknown team with a new coach anyways. Assuming they get signed elsewhere.

IMO, this is a FO showing lack of faith in everyone when our season is very much still alive

In all honesty, RR is gone even with a playoff appearance. Would have to win in the postseason likely

I agree.  He knows every game counts as a must win....I don't think anything could motivate him further from what he already knows.

If it was a legit leak, it was for the players sake.

Yes, but putting a gun to his head clearly motivates this team. 

Honestly, I think it's a legit HC search - not a motivational tactic. Gettleman is getting things lined up if/when it's time to make a change. 

I'd bet against it being a deliberate leak.

The Panthers are notoriously tight-lipped and don't really like it when people peek behind the curtain.

Having it out there means people will ask questions they probably don't want to answer.

I suspect if it was something they wanted Rivera to know, they'd just tell him (and who knows, they might have)