• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Competency Trumps Continuity

Zod

Hindsight is 20:20.

some of us saw this coming.

others complained that we weren't giving him a chance. that it was because of the situations he was thrown into. that after all this time surely he's gotten better.

i was hoping that they were right. they weren't, although still some blame the players, just like at tampa and 'bama.

i see a more likely common denominator other than shula's just unlucky.

i see an inept offense. i see a lack of scoring. i see a lack of readiness. i see a lack of preparation. i see a lack of execution. i see a lack of ability to adjust. i see a slow paced offense with a lack of excitement, energy, ambition, and inspiration.

i see shulaball.

• Pie 1

others complained that we weren't giving him a chance. that it was because of the situations he was thrown into. that after all this time surely he's gotten better.

i was hoping that they were right. they weren't, although still some blame the players, just like at tampa and 'bama.

i see an inept offense. i see a lack of scoring. i see a lack of readiness. i see a lack of preparation. i see a lack of execution. i see a lack of ability to adjust. i see a slow paced offense with a lack of excitement, energy, ambition, and inspiration.

i see shulaball.

Lol at shulaball.

i see shulaball.

the "think positive!" spin put on everything you and other users brought up this offseason got really old

now it's coming home to roost

Whats that say about our QB if he can't even pick up a new playbook and work it well in his third year?

hmmmmmmm...........

Who has said he couldn't?

IMO, Rivera's decision to promote from within was as much about security as continuity.  He knew he was on what was likely the hottest seat in the NFL coming into this season.  Losing record, unthinkable late game meltdowns, new GM, etc.  Promoting Shula meant that he would have two relatively inexperienced, unproven NFL coordinators.  In short, he knew that if he got off to a slow start, there was simply no one on the staff to hand the reigns to in the event that the Panthers decided to cut the cord on his ass.  If he'd hired a guy like Hugh Jackson to run the offense, there was a viable stop gap option available on his staff and that might spur the decision to just let Ron go and see if it was possible that we had the long-term answer to our coaching issue currently in house.

• Pie 1

the "think positive!" spin put on everything you and other users brought up this offseason got really old

now it's coming home to roost

i was really hoping i was wrong and take no pride whatsoever in looking like i and others were right about shula because panthers winning >>> me being right about the panthers potential problems.

i think he and rivera can turn it around b/c i saw it against NYG. i know they are capable of a very aggressive gameplan and making the players hyped up and hungry rather than the typical looseness that has been the trademark of rivera's team thus far.

i just don't know if they trust themselves to coach aggressive game. the fact that they hinted that there's ever a point in time during the course of a season to not make, what they considered a "desperate" decision (which i would consider proactive and pragmatic considering past outcomes) let's me know that they focus too much on playing it safe and they just can't afford to do that. not when you have a losing record. not when you're coming off a losing record. not when you have yet to have a winning record ever. in that situation, you are desperate and you take risks.  when you want to survive, you fight. when your way hasn't worked it put you back into a corner, you find another way to get where you want to be.

going forward now, it's adapt to your situation and adjust what you do or die.