• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Zac Stacy is an example of how poorly managed our Rb contracts are.

Ruff

We have absolutely beaten this dead horse to death.

No one disagrees that the RB contracts are something we are working to get out from under....but, when are we going to let this go and stop making new threads about it.

... And once gameday comes and our backs are doing their jobs you will never convince me that folks are thinking about contracts. Dead horse was never more appropriate. Hurney is long gone. I'm just going to enjoy DeAngelo while he is still here. This is one of those topics that attracts armchair GM's like flies. Its a safe topic to sound smart about. Funny thing is folks are scared to death that our developing players won't stay when it's time to sign, so there will never be a middle ground here. At the end of the day l simply tell myself it's not my money.... And now that Hurney is gone all I can do is look at the team as a whole and evaluate Gettleman as he works on our cap room and roster. I think he's doing a great job with what he started with. Let's see what he does moving through the off season.

the entire position is becoming less and less scarce as a first round talent as more and more teams go for the multi back system.

Backs not from the first in the past 5 years:

Eddie Lacy - 2nd round

Shady McCoy - 2nd round

Alf Mo- 6th round

Stevan Ridley -3rd

Leveon Bell - 2nd

DeMarco Murray - 3rd

Arian Foster Undrafted

Lamar Miller - 4th

Andre Ellington - 6th

Gio Bernard - 2nd

RB's picked in the first round in the past 5 years:

CJ Spiller - sucks this year

Ryan Mathews - sucks and always broken

Trent Richardson- sucks

Mark Ingram - sucks

doug martin - sucks this year

david wilson - sucks

Jahvid Best - Broken

Knowshon Moreno - Good this year only

Donald Brown - sucks

Chris Wells - sucks and no longer on a team

With the amount of punishment they take, it doesn't make sense to take a flyer on a RB that early unless you know that they will be adrian peterson or Barry sanders reborn. There has been plenty of RB talent in later parts of the draft over the past 5 years, hell there wasn't a RB taken in the first round this past year. The position is being devalued and it makes sense with the direction the league is going. 

Title.

The dude is a 5th round pick with almost 125yards against the seahawks. With players like him in the draft, there is literally no reason we should keep paying either DWill OR JStew.

I was thinking the same thing as I was watching the games last night. What also seems to be frustrating is the fact that Stacey has a nice burst. His vision is equivalent to D Will with quicker acceleration.

In other words he will probably be a better back by next year. All he needs is more carries to perfect his craft.

Sports writers should remain sports writers .....

Yes, they have one highly paid featured RB. Which is a normal way of doing things unlike Carolina

How many highly paid running backs?

We have two.

I understand that and agree.  The point of the OP was that we should pay neither Williams nor Stewart because a 5th round draft pick had a good game.

they deserved there money DWill just out of his prime and Stewart was supposed to be doing for us what Lacy doing for Green Bay he's just never healthy.

But barner/tolbert is the future

This barner talk needs to br toned down by 12. What has he shown in any game that makes you think he's the future?. He was a sixth round pick who more than likely won't be on the team in 2 years. The team is just as likely to take a rb next year and dumb him. All draft picks aren't long term investments. Some are like rentals.

Tolbert is a solid between the tackles runner but I dout he's the future. The future at rb probably isn't on the roster.

I think it's more simple than people make it out to be.  I trust Gettleman to sort the $$ out but just looking at the team, it's obvious DeAngelo still has it and Tolbert is a great change of pace bowling ball to have.  We could use that formidable scat-back and we are taking a shot with Barner.  Stewart is expendable and RBs aren't worth a lot anymore.

If they don't like Barner, an indicator will be going RB in the 4th-7th round next year.  I'm cool with whatever because DeAngelo is still doing well and Tolbert is a major asset to this offense.  

Given how Williams has been used in his career and what it looks like, he's relatively durable and is still kicking.  I'm not trying to draw comparisons but he's in some areas Tiki-like.  

Title.

The dude is a 5th round pick with almost 125yards against the seahawks. With players like him in the draft, there is literally no reason we should keep paying either DWill OR JStew.

Absolutely true.

Which is why I laughed my ass off when the Falcan'ts signed Steven Jackson to a 2 year deal last offseason rather than another quality OL or DL.

I laaaaaaaughed! :lol:

I understand that and agree.  The point of the OP was that we should pay neither Williams nor Stewart because a 5th round draft pick had a good game.

I didn't get that from the op's post. I took from it that there is talent to be found all over the draft at running back. If you can develop a way to find it and develop it there isn't much of a need to invest highly in the position in either the draft or in contracts later on in their careers.

I didn't get that from the op's post. I took from it that there is talent to be found all over the draft at running back. If you can develop a way to find it and develop it there isn't much of a need to invest highly in the position in either the draft or in contracts later on in their careers.

So you didn't take the fact that he said we shouldn't be "paying D-Will or J-Stew" as him saying we shouldn't pay either?

I mean, other than the fact that is literally what he said...

For every Arian Foster, Morris, or Stacy there is about 100 other late round RBs that suck.

Nearly every good team in the NFL have very good RBs.

I agree with our new offense we shouldn't pay both, but you need good RBs to compete, and I don't believe in a plug and play will work unless you have a top 3 QB.

Archived