• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

(ESPN) Sports Science examines game-ending call

CatMan72

If that's what passes for Science in America today, we're all doomed.

There are so many variable left out and the ones they do used applied incorrectly.  So, Gronk really has Luke's entire 235 lbs of force against him.  What speed was Luke moving at because they would incrase the amount of force?  How much surface area of the force being applied to?  I could go on and on.  It's just brainless spectulation with some random numbers added.

I know... it won't end well............... so I edited it...

Btw, why didn't they instead figure out the velocity and impact psi of Cannon's leg whip on Charles Johnson's knee and we could discuss just how easy it is to fug up someone's career.

Thank you, I did not want to make any liberal navy stereotypes.

the end of the article is well stated, that is was a good no call and that it happens often:

So it’s a good no-call, because the last thing we need is an offense getting a second chance for poor execution. This ending also adds to the overwhelming proof that referees would rather go with the result on the field (interception) than to make a critical, game-changing call. It happened with Golden Tate, it happened with Michael Crabtree in the Super Bowl and it will continue to happen. Maybe Gronkowski should have learned from Greg Olsen on how to sell it better.

The only reason a call like this gets so much attention is because it was a prime-time game between two good teams, it was a great game and the final play was everyone’s favorite meathead tight end trying to catch a pass from a golden boy quarterback.

If this was Rams at Panthers in a 1 p.m. Sunday setting on FOX and Kellen Clemens underthrew that pass to Jared Cook, you’d get no outcry over the ending. You would get NBC’s Dan Patrick reading the following over a highlight of the play: “Last chance for the Rams. Kellen Clemens, uhh, not quite enough air. Robert Lester with the interception. Carolina has won six straight. Stay tuned for Hines Ward’s ten words of analysis…”

Thank you, I did not want to make any liberal navy stereotypes.

That could have been interesting since Navy and Liberal are about mutually exclusive and stereotyping those together could prove to be a task. For the record, I'm a Democrat, not necessarily a liberal and I retired from the Navy 20 years ago...

Archived