• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shutdown Corner ranks Panthers 13th for 2014

GRWatcher

Maybe Cam Newton is good enough to overcome the deck that's stacked against him (and he might be), and the defense is still going to be fantastic. Just don't expect 12-4 again this season

There are not a dozen quarterbacks in the league better than Newton. No chance. I thought last year would have put an end to the silliness when it comes to Newton, the nitpicking about his sideline demeanor and such. He's a phenomenal quarterback who has had three incredible seasons with a terrible offensive supporting cast. I don't know what more Newton needs to do. But he is an elite quarterback, without a doubt. Maybe he will "break out" this year and we can move beyond the petty arguments surrounding him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/shutdown-countdown--carolina-panthers-become-the-hunted-in-the-nfc-south-170021989.html

Frank Schwab at Yahoo's Shutdown Corner continues the 2014 countdown with the Panthers at #13 and gives a pretty good rundown of our weaknesses and strengths.  It's a good read. BTW he was the only one that called for us to win the NFC South last year. Seriously.

I'm so excited for football this year!! Can't wait.

Why is everybody on the Bucs' jock? I see that they aren't listed yet so they are going to ranked higher than the Panthers after going 4-12. I know they got Lovie Smith, but they still have Josh McClown and havn't proven anything yet. Oh well, I'm just ready for some damn football!

Why is everybody on the Bucs' jock? I see that they aren't listed yet so they are going to ranked higher than the Panthers after going 4-12. I know they got Lovie Smith, but they still have Josh McClown and havn't proven anything yet. Oh well, I'm just ready for some damn football!

Because they have all the weapons you wish Cam has and you know it's true. Josh mcclown played great last year

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

It's going to be a roller coaster ride of a season.  I'd pick the Panthers to finish 9-7 as it stands right now, and that's if the LT position gets solidified by a solid player (whether that's Nate Chandler stepping up or a FA pickup - God help us if Byron Bell starts...)

WR isn't as bad off as people think, but O-Line is a HUGE question mark.

I don't have an issue with the write up either.  He at least mentioned Avant and Cotchery.  It is all a matter of opinion whether they do well or not.  The comments about what the issue with Cam is with these other writers.  Is spot on.

I don't think we will go 12-4 again but I also do see us pulling a 2013 Falcons, unless of course we are hit with the bug.

Because they have all the weapons you wish Cam has and you know it's true. Josh mcclown played great last year

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Yeah, and we have a QB that they wish they had too. And don't give me that "he played great last year". Marc Trestman is the reason for that and everybody knows that. Look for McCown to go back to being his usually scrub self.

I think this article is pretty good. I know the defense is going to run poo again, and I am hoping Benjamin can step in early and do work. I'm optimistic for this year. I think 8-8 is the absolute floor,with the ceiling being 12 wins.

Yeah, and we have a QB that they wish they had too. And don't give me that "he played great last year". Marc Trestman is the reason for that and everybody knows that. Look for McCown to go back to being his usually scrub self.

The defenses he started against last season were horrible. Jimmy Clausen would have thrown for 300+ yards against those defenses in Trestman's system.

McCown is going to be a tackling dummy with a lot of interceptions against the defenses the Bucs will face this season. And Mike Evans is not even close to ready for the physical game the NFL will bring. He folds when people get physical with him and loses his head. Evans is going to struggle getting off the jam, going over the middle and competing for the ball in the air. His entire game is beating you deep and his QB needs time in the pocket or scrambling ability to buy time.

Archived