• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pats claim RB Tyler Gaffney off waivers

UNCrules2187

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000370732/article/thats-so-belichick-pats-claim-tyler-gaffney-off-waivers Patriots claim running back Tyler Gaffney off waivers
  • By Marc Sessler

Bill Belichick just did the most Bill Belichickian thing ever.

The New England Patriots on Monday claimed rookie running back Tyler Gaffney off waivers after theCarolina Panthers tried to sneak their sixth-round pick through waivers and onto injured reserve.

Gaffney suffered a knee injury over the weekend that will require surgery. He'll miss the season, but when he returns, he'll wear New England's red, white and blue.

It's reminiscent of Belichick claiming injured Giants tight endJake Ballard off waivers in 2012 after New York also attempted to whisk the veteran by for a trip to IR.

After the Ballard transaction, the Patriots were dressed down by some for breaking a so-called "unwritten rule" that says teams should respectfully turn a blind eye to injured players riding the waiver wire.

We recall similar ire when the Browns in 2009 exposed sixth-round rookie cornerback Don Carey to waivers only to have the Jaguars ****** him up.

"That's the first time I've ever seen that," an official with another team said at the time, per The Plain Dealer. "I would have bet money that nobody would have claimed him."

Well, you bet wrong, sir.

Belichick doesn't give a hoot about unwritten rules, and shame on any team clutching to the belief that a talented player exposed league-wide is guaranteed to go untouched.

it was a 6th round draft pick on a move literally every GM does when a player gets injured.

The Patriots were the Patriots and broke an unwritten rule. It's how it goes sometimes. 

You guys are acting like we lost KB. We lost a running back. They're a dime a dozen.

it was a 6th round draft pick on a move literally every GM does when a player gets injured.

The Patriots were the Patriots and broke an unwritten rule. It's how it goes sometimes. 

You guys are acting like we lost KB. We lost a running back. They're a dime a dozen.

Which is why it was a bad pick to begin with.

Boo hoo, we're in cap hell for two more years and we've got holes everywhere. If you wanna bitch about G-Man not reaching for a Tackle then you might as well bitch at him for drafting Short and Benjamin.

You act as if other GMs strike gold at every pick.

Reaching for a tackle late in the draft is better than wasting a pick that you're going to cut before the season begins.

I'm not asking for him to strike gold at every pick. Just not piss away picks. That pick could've been used on a tackle. Reaching or not. It would've helped with depth. Now we have nothing.

You can't convince me that their's nobody on this 90 man roster that would have been a better sacrifice than gaffney. This is a FO FU on the panthers.

So waive a healthy player that might contribute on special teams or practice squad, or at very least play during preseason this year to keep an inconsequential 6th round pick player that is done for the year?

You can't convince me that their's nobody on this 90 man roster that would have been a better sacrifice than gaffney. This is a FO FU on the panthers.

You do realize the Pats are going to have to put him on waivers as well and we can just claim him back. Theres no way they keep an injured rb on the 53 man roster. Correct me if im wrong but thats the only way they could keep him without subjecting him to waivers

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Archived