• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

kalil on carolina's biggest flaw so far...

nosuchthingasapanther

run blocking...

"It's a little bit of the offensive line not doing a good job of being consistent,'' Kalil said. "We've done a really good job of pass blocking, but we just have to be better [run blocking]. We can't have a 'my bad' from one player on one play and then another guy the next play.''

"You can't let guys go that we're responsible for,'' Kalil said. "It's one thing to get beat. That's going to happen. But you can't not block a guy that you're supposed to block. That starts with me. I've got to make sure everybody is on the same page.

"But that's a big part of it. You can't let guys run free and take shots at the running back.''

Coach Ron Rivera called it a "tough day'' for the running game. He hopes the return of all-time leading rusher DeAngelo Williams helps on Sunday night against Pittsburgh.

But even with Williams the Panthers had only 54 yards through three quarters of the opener against Tampa Bay.

Jonathan Stewart led Carolina with 37 yards against the Lions. Twenty-two of those came on one run.

"And those yards were all from second effort on his part,'' Kalil said. "Imagine if we could block a little better for him how many yards he could get.''

"Jonathan, he just ran his butt off. Even on the [2-yard] touchdown, he had three guys on him. If you watch film on it, it's unbelievable. We've got to do a better job of blocking for him.''

i expect a much improved performance from the oline this sunday night against the steelers. there was definitely a lot of run for improvement the past couple of weeks, but at the same time the lions' and buccaneers' defensive lines are pretty tough to run on...the steelers, not as much.

I agree run blocking wasn't good especially on the inside of the line, which is where the Lions are strong. I wish we would have run more counters and misdirections. The reverses and counters seem to do a little better. The inside runs and sweeps just sucked. 

Teams weak in the middle = Stewart/Tolbert and pounding the middle

Teams strong in the middle = DLo and counters, reverses and tosses 

We just had the wrong runner for the game last week 

It is also going to hurt our run game a little with Cam being dinged and protected by coaching staff. Read option was a big part of our offense. We won't he running much of it for time being which means defense can fly to RB and only half ass contain.

And the oline needs to do better

I agree run blocking wasn't good especially on the inside of the line, which is where the Lions are strong. I wish we would have run more counters and misdirections. The reverses and counters seem to do a little better. The inside runs and sweeps just sucked. 

Teams weak in the middle = Stewart/Tolbert and pounding the middle

Teams strong in the middle = DLo and counters, reverses and tosses 

We just had the wrong runner for the game last week 

Those plays are to slow developing and our interior was letting guys run free that's probably why they didn't call very many.  I remember them specifically running a counter with stew and he was met in the backfield as soon as he got the ball

I dont get it. We all knew this would be the biggest problem coming into the season. Hell players said this is exactly what they were going to do against us on TV TALK SHOWS back in June and July. They stack the box, they force us to pass. We have been successfully passing, the running game will open up eventually but lets not kid ourselves, we are passing against 3 players every down instead of 4. This was expected, we will be fine.

We actually could have really used DeAngelo for this game. He can string out runs moreso than Stewart and Tolbert, who tend to plow straight into the line. Unfortunately, that's where the Lions are at their strongest.

We should be able to get the run game untracked this week, as through two games, Pittsburgh looks like they have one of the worst run defenses in the league. They're giving up 170 rush yards per game and an even 5.0 yards per carry. Oakland is the worst, giving up 200 rush yards per game and the same 5.0 ypc average.

Archived