• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Late-Season Surprise [Voth on Remmers]

SgtJoo

If both Remmers and Norwell work out, you gotta credit Gettleman for the finds.

how many OL did we have to scrounge through to get here and how much time did we waste?

argument could be made he just threw as much poo as he could find and spent all year doing it before he found this that stuck to the wall.

If both Remmers and Norwell work out, you gotta credit Gettleman for the finds.

Well, there's still fault on all parties involved.  Gettleman did sign Avant, Cotch, Harper, and Decoud, essentially our 4 biggest signings were 4 busts, so it's not all washed away by this.  That said, he did find some great talent in the draft, KB is gonna be a beast, Bene is gonna be a stud as long as he stays healthy, Boston has been decent, Turner and Norwell have been great, so the more I've looked at this season, I'd give Gettleman a C+/B- type grade.  His problem is it appears he missed badly on our actual free agent signings, but nailed our draft.

On the flip side, you have Rivera and the staff, so the question has to be asked...why did it take SO LONG to realize Chandler wasn't a starting calibur tackle, why Amini was still being used.  Why did it take so long to realize Godfrey was not a viable option at Nickle OR safety and was wasting a roster spot.  Dockery came in and played better than he did IMMEDIATELY.  When we talk about guys getting buried on the depth chart, I wonder if we aren't doing the exact same thing on our own roster and what guys we truly have that are capable but our coaching staff is too hard headed to realize.  I'm starting to believe the biggest coaching failure of this season is not his in game decisions (while those were atrocious), but leaving more capable players on the bench in favor of guys who flat out were not getting the job done (See:Williams, Deangelo).

Well, there's still fault on all parties involved.  Gettleman did sign Avant, Cotch, Harper, and Decoud, essentially our 4 biggest signings were 4 busts, so it's not all washed away by this.  That said, he did find some great talent in the draft, KB is gonna be a beast, Bene is gonna be a stud as long as he stays healthy, Boston has been decent, Turner and Norwell have been great, so the more I've looked at this season, I'd give Gettleman a C+/B- type grade.  His problem is it appears he missed badly on our actual free agent signings, but nailed our draft.

On the flip side, you have Rivera and the staff, so the question has to be asked...why did it take SO LONG to realize Chandler wasn't a starting calibur tackle, why Amini was still being used.  Why did it take so long to realize Godfrey was not a viable option at Nickle OR safety and was wasting a roster spot.  Dockery came in and played better than he did IMMEDIATELY.  When we talk about guys getting buried on the depth chart, I wonder if we aren't doing the exact same thing on our own roster and what guys we truly have that are capable but our coaching staff is too hard headed to realize.  I'm starting to believe the biggest coaching failure of this season is not his in game decisions (while those were atrocious), but leaving more capable players on the bench in favor of guys who flat out were not getting the job done (See:Williams, Deangelo).

I hate to tell you this, but I can almost guarantee that RR is the reason for Harper, DeCoud, and Avant.

He is also why DWill kept starting, along with Godfrey and Amini.  

"Players Coaches" love their vets.

I hate to tell you this, but I can almost guarantee that RR is the reason for Harper, DeCoud, and Avant.

He is also why DWill kept starting, along with Godfrey and Amini.  

"Players Coaches" love their vets.

I agree that he was the reason why we kept playing them, that was my point.  Gettleman is not without fault here though because he brought these turd sandwiches in.

I agree that he was the reason why we kept playing them, that was my point.  Gettleman is not without fault here though because he brought these turd sandwiches in.

I agree, somewhat.

RR is the type coach that loves his vets on the field and in the locker room.  I can see him leaning on DG heavily to bring those dudes in, and if you do that, you have to play them.

how many OL did we have to scrounge through to get here and how much time did we waste?

argument could be made he just threw as much poo as he could find and spent all year doing it before he found this that stuck to the wall.

Gettleman brought Norwell a long time ago, don't blame him because Rivera buried him on the depth chart.  Gettleman also brought in Trai Turner who looks good as well.

Bell and Chandler were fails, but at our position in the draft would you have rather risked a pick on an OT rather than take KB in this deep ass WR draft?  LTs outside the top 10 are a crap shoot.  He brought in Ealy as future insurance for Hardy, and at the time it was viewed as a great value pick - no one fuging knew Hardy was going to be suspended all year after franchising him.  We really didn't have the money to go after any premiere FAs, so are you holding it against him he didn't find a diamond in the rough from day 1, yet still holding it against him that it seems like he did find one later on?

I don't understand what people's problems with Gettleman is.  His hands have been tied the last couple of seasons cap wise.  He can either do all these ridiculous things fans want him to do and mortgage the future, or he can set us up to make moves beyond one season.  Gettleman has brought in a lot more talent than he has turds his time here.  Think back to the revamped secondary last season after all or starters went down against the Bills.  Remember who came in (and played extremely well the rest of the season)?  Gettleman's guys that were buried on Rivera's depth chart... again.

I think this week going up against a very solid Browns defense will be the first real test of our new look OL and whether it's worth hanging next year's hat on (in addition to getting a competent LT).  So far the new guys have been playing against scrub defenses for the most part.  If we can run and give the QB time to throw tomorrow, I'll feel a lot better about next year.

Archived