• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith, Brandon LaFell and Kelvin Benjamin all caught touchdown passes today

PanthersClinic

Too bad we didn't have the money to end up with all these guys, sure would've been more lethal than Brenton Bersin and Philly Brown.

I'm no cap expert but we really screwed the pooch with the WR icebreaker last offseason. We had Ginn stretching the field, Smith picking up tough third downs and LaFell working the middle of the field.

Also Ginn did punt returns quite well. Philly Brown took one back but was very unreliable and Bersin had no big play potential and developed a perverse fear of the ball in the playoffs.

Well, there's always tomorrow. Hopefully Gettleman will put a decent crew of receivers around Cam next season. The talent on offense simply wasn't acceptable this season. Honestly if they cut every receiver but KB tomorrow I'd be fine. That's how low quality the crew this year was.

thing is, you're gonna want someone to be the vet to mentor everyone else and Cotchery may as well be the new Proehl.  The other thing is you don't want to keep switching receivers all the time because Cam needs to have chemistry with someone other than Olsen.

That said, there's no reason to hold onto Bersin for anything anymore and while I like First Down Philly Brown in theory, if you can get a better option, I'm all for it.

Amazingly, I think the loss that hurt the most was Ginn. He and Cam developed a good chemistry on deep balls and he was a gamebreaker as a punt returner. Really wish we could have found a way to keep him.

Philly I think will be a better deep threat than Ginn. Ginn had too many drops. Missed his punt returning giving us good field position though. We need to address that in a bad way in the offseason

I think our offensive problems have more to do with Shula than personnel, to be honest. Patriots and Ravens and Seahawks all have amazing offensive systems. Ours is sh*t. Pure sh*t. LaFell and Smitty would've helped but it was better for us longterm to let them go. 

like the back end of steve smith's contract was mostly prorated money from one of hurney's signature restructures in 2012.  there wasn't much that could be done other than asking him to take an outright paycut.  he would have the upper hand in those negotiations anyway because his contract was already leveraged all to hell.

Amazingly, I think the loss that hurt the most was Ginn. He and Cam developed a good chemistry on deep balls and he was a gamebreaker as a punt returner. Really wish we could have found a way to keep him.

Agreed, and he really didnt do anything for the Cards. I really cant blame him though with the money they threw at him.

retaining all of those guys would have completely fuged our cap is the long and short of it. they were all luxuries we couldn't afford.

But the issue is, there were better options available than what we brought in here for comparable pay. Same with the OL.

if you can cut your #2 WR (sometimes the slot) midway through the season and your offense gets better, then there's something wrong.

But, spilled milk and all... No use in whining about it now. It was our flaw and it ultimately played a huge role in getting us knocked out of the playoffs. I am surprisingly happy with this season considering... But we sure as hell better fix it this offseason.

I'm thinking as many moves as he made letting guys go or walk last season, he us going to have to make that many adding QUALITY recievers this offseason.

Archived