• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is 'BPA, or be damned' a flaw with Gettleman's draft philosophy?

top dawg

All I know is we can't keep ignoring the T spots. No FA or Drafted player of note at a position of glaring need in two years.

In truth, Norwell and Remmers saved this team and maybe a few jobs too. Was that luck or great evaluation?

I just hope Bell doesn't end up the starting LT again and it could happen.

If Gman stayed true to his word he'd fill that spot in FA before the draft. But he already hinted he isn't going to pay for a top tackle.

Too easy to say BPA

It is actually BPA considering quite a few things.

Was Benji the top guy on our board?  Maybe, but Gman said that there was not an Olineman worth the pick.

So based on those statements and our draft pick, we were looking for our two biggest needs.

Too easy to say BPA

It is actually BPA considering quite a few things.

Was Benji the top guy on our board?  Maybe, but Gman said that there was not an Olineman worth the pick.

So based on those statements and our draft pick, we were looking for our two biggest needs.

I think we were definitely lucky to get Benji. He should have have gone earlier IMO. There were some weird picks in there that enabled him to fall. I think our 1st rounders have been no brainers IMO.

But look at round two, Mewhort and Britt picked around Ealy. Now I'm not saying Ealy isn't good but Luck and Wilson got some much needed protection. Hardy's antics sure made our pick look wiser tho.

I mean after what he said in his last press conference it does have me rethinking about how he drafts. Because it seems like he's saying he drafts whoever is at the top of his board no matter what position it is, and not that what he is doing is wrong he's done a fantastic job so far. I just don't believe there is anyway he'd take a Qb at 25 even if there was one at the top of his draft board. Same with running back (although I don't think we know that forsure) otherwise you could make a case for him to draft any other position except Qb Guard DT K and P. I think he's smart enough to not draft a Rb in the 1st so really his philosophy isn't wrong as long as he doesn't draft anu of the positions listed above.

I dunno. Even if he takes another DL, I'd be okay with it. He obviously has a very good eye for talent and football knowledge in players. Of course not every pick is going to be a winner. But I do think Getts gives us the best chance to pick winners.

edit: grammar.

I don't think drafting Gordon or Gurley would be the end of the world. It'd actually be fun to have another Georgia guy to stick it to ATL like Cam and CJ seem to do on those days.

In fact, I remember Rivera saying something about spending that pick on a "luxury" that made me wonder if they'd be tempted.

Now, you can certainly make the argument that that is what got us in our cap situation we are in today or the extensions that Marty gave at least.

But Gordon and a healthy Gurley are definitely in the discussion as BPA's even if not a need. Would you pass on a Jammal Charles whom he is continuously compared with.

I think we were definitely lucky to get Benji. He should have have gone earlier IMO. There were some weird picks in there that enabled him to fall. I think our 1st rounders have been no brainers IMO.

But look at round two, Mewhort and Britt picked around Ealy. Now I'm not saying Ealy isn't good but Luck and Wilson got some much needed protection. Hardy's antics sure made our pick look wiser tho.

Britt wasn't that good in pass protection.

Does he use Mayock's or Kiper's ratings to determine BPA?  I think we get caught up in what determines the "Best" player available.

The reality of the situation is that every team creates it's big board based on what they need.  If Mariota or Winston fell to 25, would they be at the top of our draft board as the BPA?  Nope.  In the 4th round?  Why not!

Every year this kind of stuff get's people worked up into thinking that for some reason Gettleman would draft someone who would not fit in the team at all.  He won't.  It's his job and reputation to build the best team.  Do you bring the best team together by drafting 3 QBs in a row because they are the BPA?  No, let's not be silly.

If a team looks at getting the best football players at every pick, they are going to get better.  There will be misses here and there, but you can make plans to get your best guys on the field regardless.

Archived