• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton should be paid more than Luck or Wilson

Jeremy Igo

I agree with most of what Zod is saying in here.

As for one QB being paid more than another, Wilson has a ring, so he's going to be paid the most in all likelihood.

If you want to be competely real, how well we are able to draft from here on out is more important than how much we give Newton. Before Gettleman got here we didn't do enough to successfully build around Cam through the draft, especially being under a rookie contract.

Oh, and Dex. When stirs, who has been talking endless poo about Newton since before we drafted him is agreeing with you, well...

As far as DA goes, he managed to squeak out a few wins against the worst team in the NFL.

He almost got hurt in the second one.

Do people honestly think we could have kept him healthy all season behind that OL against the better teams in the NFL?

You missed his point... how many times would we win when Cam throw 4 picks? The answer is we usually lose when he throws one, that how small his margin of error is while being asked to supply 80% of our offense in both the pass and run game.

This.

I don't understand. How this is soo difficult for some types to grasp.

#mission to civilize is the gayest thing ive ever heard of..

Hey, made some good points.. but slap that hashtag on at the end and it just screams douchebag.

Think objective.. hmm.. funny because i feel those slinging around that phase are failing themselves to think objectivly.. lol

If you cant see how valuable cam is to this team..

Russel Wilson has proven he can lead his team to a Super Bowl, that's a golden feather in his cap. Andrew Luck I go back and forth with because he's a terrific passer with "footballl IQ". Then you see him make 3 or 4 of the stupidest plays imaginable that either put his team in a hole or outright cost them the game.

I don't really agree with the Igo logic that we should pay Cam more because our offensive personnel is so bad. In fact that would never cross my mind when I come up with a number. You negotiate with Cam and get the most team friendly deal you can. If the deal is the opposite of team friendly you tell him to play on the franchise number and accept he may leave.

There has been speculation Russel Wilson may have a fully garaunteed contract with a reasonable cap figure. I've always wondered if we could do this with cam. Say 5 years 70 million garaunteed? That's 14 million annually to him with plenty of cap space to get his help. Even give him an opt out after 4 years.

RW should not fall for that. Aaron Rodgers had 110M with 54M guaranteed but guess what, he's likely going to see all that 110M because of how well he's played. Same with Brees. I won't take 70M just cos it's guaranteed when i could well make 120M

Worse case scenario is that Newton plays under the 5th year option which is 14 million in 2015 and then is tagged in 2016 if we can't reach agreement. With the quarterback franchise tag expected to be over 18 million in 2015 and likely to rise to 20 million in 2016 the estimates that suggest Cam will make between 20-25 million per year are very likely. He isn't going to make less than 20 a year.

Secondly that 20 million isn't going to kill us long term as long as we don't have 4 or 5 players at that level. With so many ways to manipulate the cap we can easily fit him under the cap and pay Luke as well. The biggest issue will be the guaranteed money and with most teams guaranteeing their first couple of years salaries and the signing bonus we likely wouldn't have much dead cap,money beyond 3 or 4 years. He just has to stay productive and healthy and we will be fine.

#mission to civilize is the gayest thing ive ever heard of..

Hey, made some good points.. but slap that hashtag on at the end and it just screams douchebag.

Think objective.. hmm.. funny because i feel those slinging around that phase are failing themselves to think objectivly.. lol

If you cant see how valuable cam is to this team..

Not that it makes any less douchey, but you know that is from a TV show right?

But then you have the people on this site who tell you the GM in Indy is trash and the Colts roster is complete garbage top to bottom. So you'd have to assume they think Andrew Luck is more valuable there. 

Bottom line though, Cam will set the bar when he signs and a year later Luck will probably get just a wee bit more. Inflation at work.

Archived