• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Final Decision On Hardy : No Thanks

Jeremy Igo

No my beef is with not even exploring it.

He likely would have commanded a 3rd rounder and higher if we did it last off season. I'm sure there is still a market for him, and it would be worth seeing what we could get. Further, you also have a hand in determining where he goes instead of him staying in your division and trying to murder our QB with a vengeance for the next however many years.

To Trade him out of the division would be worth it alone, regardless of the compensation. If there is interest, which there would be, a trade would not take long at all.

Who says they didn't? 

Who says they didn't?

It can be inferred.

Since Carruth, understandably, our franchise has operated on possibly the strictest standards of behavior and principle. If there is so much as a hint of trouble, we get rid of them, with the only exception being Smitty, and I imagine that is because his problems were in-house and he had a close relationship with JR.

It has been rumored since last off season that we had no interest in bringing him back even after tagging him. I don't remember if that rumor came out before or after the DV case that actually wasn't DV, but regardless... The timing of that rumor coming out suggests we didn't care what the market was, he wasn't a part of the plans moving forward and we were letting him walk once the season was over.

It's possible it was explored but from the looks of it, it appears the plan was strictly to see what he could do for us last season and then we were done with him.

No my beef is with not even exploring it.

He likely would have commanded a 3rd rounder and higher if we did it last off season. I'm sure there is still a market for him, and it would be worth seeing what we could get. Further, you also have a hand in determining where he goes instead of him staying in your division and trying to murder our QB with a vengeance for the next however many years.

To Trade him out of the division would be worth it alone, regardless of the compensation. If there is interest, which there would be, a trade would not take long at all.

We did franchise him last year.

No one came calling, and they had the entire offseason to do so.

Why would they come calling now?

Even players who don't have off field issues only rarely get signed or traded away after being franchised. It's far from guaranteed that anyone would step up and make an offer.

But regardless, the minute he signed the deal, we'd be on the hook for the full salary. Heck, why shouldn't he sign it? He gets the money whether he plays or not. And you can't just tell him not to sign. Once the offer is on the table, he has a right to it.

I understand what you want out of this deal, but that just isn't how it works. We'd be risking devoting a big chunk of cap to a player we don't want.

If we were sitting here unable to sign free agents again because of Greg Hardy, would you still defend that deal?

Edited by Mr. Scot

To be fair, how often have you seen the Panthers - or any other team, for that matter - make an 'official announcement' that they didn't plan to sign a particular free agent?

This isn't the sort of thing you issue a press release for.

Rarely, but that's irrelevant to whether this is official or not. I'm nitpicking, I know.

Carolina tagged him last year bc they were debating what to do with him bc they viewed him as so risky.....he then missed the whole season. That is showing work.

You aren't gonna get Carolina to give you a list of all the reasons they believed that.....just like you didn't get a list of why 89 was such a headache. But it takes some creative thinking to believe those are made up and unfounded....and that only a team spokesman bluntly telling you would make it legit

Hardy missing the whole season had more to do with Ray rice and his video than it did himself.

Hardy would have played the whe season without anyone in the media saying a peep if the elevator video doesn't surface.

The video is the whole thing.

• Pie 2

If hardy wants to play for us as bad as people say and we don't let him you bet your ass the saints will accept him with open arms. And I'm more scared of a kraken than I am a Steve smith. There no reason not to resign this guy

The Saints have like -27 million in cap room. If he's staying in the division it will be on the Bucs or Falcons.

Honestly, DG said he would not speak of Hardy till he was off the list. With the speed of the NFL Hardy may be on that damn list another year. The NFL has lost in court every time they punish AP yet they keep him on the list. This means until the NFL gets off there high horse and learns they dont make labor laws this is going to be a long process. IMO Hardy is screwed but its not because of the Panthers, its because he might not even make it to training camp on time because he will still be on THE LIST!