• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Mock Draft Rounds 1 - 3

Jeremy Igo

The following is my best guess at what will transpire in rounds 1-3 of the NFL Draft next month as far as the Panthers are concerned. 

All three picks are not only the best players available, but also players whose football talents line up perfectly with what the Carolina Panthers do on the field. 

So, without further ado... 

2015 Panthers Mock Rounds 1-3

Round 1 , Pick 25

Landon Collins - S - Alabama

Gettleman practices what he preaches in picking the best player available, but also fills a need. Landon Collins is one of those guys that is projected high but could drop in the first round. He ran a good 40, but other than that had a rather average combine. He won’t drop out of the first round, but he could drop to the mid 20s where the Panthers will select him if available. 

Collins is a prototype Ron Rivera strong safety. He punishes runners and has sound tackling technique. He is the best run defense safety in the draft, and as Dave Gettleman always says, you have to first defend the run to be able to rush the passer. 

Round 2, Pick 57

Jake Fisher - OT - Oregon

FIsher had arguably helped himself the most at the combine out of all offensive tackles, which will bump him up into the second round. Fisher isn’t the physical stud that the first round tackles are, but he is a true football player. The Ducks offensive line performance decreased drastically without Fisher in the lineup. Throw in the fact that he is accustomed to protecting a mobile QB, and this is a no brainer for the Panthers. 

Round 3, Pick 89

Nick O’Leary - TE - FSU

If there is one thing Ron Rivera and Mike Shula love, its an H-Back. A guy that can line up as a tight end or fullback opens up plenty of matchups that would be favorable to the Panthers. They tried this with both Ed Dickson and Brandon Williams last season, but had limited success. Nick O’Leary is the best H-Back this year’s draft and a good value in the late 3rd round.

In addition, even though he is not much of a deep threat, he is a reliable receiver with solid hands for Cam Newton to target in mid to short yardage situations. He was a safety outlet for Winston at FSU, he can be one for Newton in Carolina. 

That's fair. I'm not sure I'm sold on Collins falling out of the Top 15, but I've seen enough of drafts to know that anything is possible.

I'm surprised more people aren't enamored with Jake Fisher. I honestly think that he's a mirror image of Lane Johnson. Both are super athletic, probably undersized, but can put on a hell of an athletic display on the outsider.

Best pick of those 3 is Jake Fisher, I'm becoming more and more enamored with him.  I'm also afraid other teams are beginning to look his way, if that is the case, I wonder if we'd be willing to trade up a little in the second to snag him, I know I think it's worth it to get a starting tackle for the foreseeable future.

I'd like Shaq Thompson, but totally agree with the rest.

Landing O'Leary would enable us to cut Tolbert, who is basically worthless at this point in his Career and taking up a good chunk of cap space. having Oleary in the backfield would keep Olson on the line running routes instead of blocking for poor OL support.

Like the first two picks.

O'Leary has great hands but his 40 at the combine might drop him out of the 3rd/4th/5th rounds. That was shockingly low, not to mention his lack of height. A 3rd's a tad high for a Richie Brockel type guy. We could do better than that.

Archived