• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Free Agent News

Mr. Scot

A good OT can get signed to a 6-7 million a year deal and people on this board will console themselves with "ha! At least we didn't overpay! Value baby!" as Byron bell spends 4 years flailing and drowning as journeymen DE blow by him, taunt him for being a lefty, stop at a drive-thru, play 4 games of solitaire on their Sony VAIO and then hit Cam's blindside and we all have to hear Dex yell about how terrible Cam is.

Most of the big money OTs from last offseason flopped.  Hell, we just signed one of them on the cheap after he signed a big deal last offseason and then got cut.

Spending money like a drunken sailor doesn't necessarily equal winning.  Historically, the "winners" in free agency usually doesn't translate to winning on the field.

I don't like Indy's approach

You have a young QB, so why bring in the "over the hill" gang to surround him.

I would think the quick twitch 20 somethings would be better than the "lost a step" mid thirties guys

Some teams are concerned with being in the Super Bowl for the next five years and some teams are concerned with getting to the Super Bowl within 5 years

Just a philosophical difference I guess

Jerricho Cotchery doesn't exactly qualify as "addressing needs."

At some point you have to be willing to accept that this year is this year and not 1998 and that good players make lots of money, and sometimes, you may even have to sign a player that another team wants (gasp)

A good OT can get signed to a 6-7 million a year deal and people on this board will console themselves with "ha! At least we didn't overpay! Value baby!" as Byron bell spends 4 years flailing and drowning as journeymen DE blow by him, taunt him for being a lefty, stop at a drive-thru, play 4 games of solitaire on their Sony VAIO and then hit Cam's blindside and we all have to hear Dex yell about how terrible Cam is.

Does Cam not know how to use his peripherals? What a bum.

Most of the big money OTs from last offseason flopped.  Hell, we just signed one of them on the cheap after he signed a big deal last offseason and then got cut.

Spending money like a drunken sailor doesn't necessarily equal winning.  Historically, the "winners" in free agency usually doesn't translate to winning on the field.

This has been true on an annual basis, and analyzed to death, and yet every year as soon as free agency starts people are whining that we won't go out and spend like the perennial losers do.

This has been true on an annual basis, and analyzed to death, and yet every year as soon as free agency starts people are whining that we won't go out and spend like the perennial losers do.

Please it's not only perennial losers spending.

Winning teams such as the 49ers, Pats, and Broncos spend every year.

Most of the big money OTs from last offseason flopped. Hell, we just signed one of them on the cheap after he signed a big deal last offseason and then got cut.

Spending money like a drunken sailor doesn't necessarily equal winning. Historically, the "winners" in free agency usually doesn't translate to winning on the field.

As I've said, and I mean this is a number of different capacities when I say this, it's about who you sign, not what you spend.

Just because Tampa spends a lot of money on a CB who doesn't fit what they do doesn't mean that same player can't go help another team win the Super Bowl the following season and play great in a system that fits his skill set.

There isn't some magical voodoo that players who get the title of "free agent" that makes them bust in certain places and boom in others.

It's about who you sign. Not what you spend. There's no such thing as "overpaying" if a player brings you success, and just because crappy teams sign crappy players in desperation doesn't mean that well run teams aren't meanwhile adding good players who will help carry them back to the postseason.

Some teams are concerned with being in the Super Bowl for the next five years and some teams are concerned with getting to the Super Bowl within 5 years

That makes no sense. The teams who would be 'in the Super Bowl for the next five years' can think that way because they're already laid a foundation of fiscal responsibility and sound talent evaluation. Additionally, those teams have continuity in critical leadership positions, both on the field and in the FO.

Carolina is absolutely moving in that direction for the first time in team history because we might just have a guy in place who can make it happen. They don't grow on trees and it can take time to undo years of damage, and I'd argue that making the playoffs twice while suffering from the WORST of said damage is very positive.

When were the colts last in the Super Bowl? How many times have they been?

If the Panthers were just a little better, maybe the league would think of us as serious contenders like they obviously believe the Colts are. It is imperative that we get an LT that's worth a damn, and Cam some legit weapons.

We have a defense good enough to do it, minus a couple of pieces perhaps, but no one takes our offense seriously (particularly our receiving corps).

Archived