• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Boykin to Visit per Rapoport

NYPantherFan

Isn't he a slow,  possession wr?

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jarrett-boykin?id=2532799

4.74 40

Overview:

Boykin is an athletic receiver with a ton of size. He is a slow mover who is not taking the top off any NFL defenses, but his long strides make him look fluid in the open field running intermediate routes. He has good hands and a large catch radius to go up and get the ball. Teams needing a red-zone threat and a receiver who can snag the ball on timing routes will consider him a fifth-round talent.

Strengths:

Boykin is quick off the line and is good to release outside and stem his routes, but can also get back on top of a defender when running vertically. He is flexible and can drop his weight with ease to break and separate from cornerbacks. He is a good option in short and intermediate routes and a catcher who can adjust to the ball well to bring in nearly every ball thrown his way. He is physical downfield and makes his presence felt on the edge in the run game.

Weaknesses:

Boykin is a slow receiver who struggles to make plays happen deep. He can catch the ball from anywhere and can be an option even when covered, but will struggle to run against NFL corners and could potentially get blanketed. He is not elusive after the catch by any stretch of the imagination, though he can break arm tackles from smaller cornerbacks.

Yikes.

Man, you almost have to start to wonder if this is what Gettleman wants in his WRs.  Rivera has spoken openly this offseason about needing more speed and this is the WR we're bringing in for a visit...

This time last year, Mike McCarthy couldn't stop saying great things about Jarrett Boykin. In camp and preseason he didn't pull away as the Packers #3 which is what they expected. But the guy clearly has some traits that have caught coaches' eyes.  

This from McCarthy in August 2014:

"Clearly, Jarrett Boykin has taken the next step," coach Mike McCarthy said. "I just love the way he plays. He's had an excellent camp."

This from March 2014:

"I can't say enough about Boykin. The young man is a heck of a player."

Obviously something went awry in the interim, but the point is that coaches loved him at one point. Look at Byron Bell - we lamented his gamedays for years, but the coaches always saw something in him. Please don't misunderstand - I'm not using Byron Bell to support the Jarrett Boykin cause. But I am willing to admit that I know crap compared to our coaches and scouts, and I trust the judgment of a professional that watches the guy every day. There's something there.

Archived