• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman: Oher can be answer at left tackle

Jeremy Igo

I really like our GM, but if I'm being honest, we've all seen how our possible answers at OL have panned out

You mean like Norwell, Turner, and Remmers???

or are you like 95% of the other over-reactors here that just focus on the failed LT experiment with Bell and Chandler?

DG has drastically improved the state of our line in his first two seasons and (like it or not) he just upgraded the LT position by letting Bell walk.  Granted, a stationary tackling dummy would be an upgrade over Bell, but Oher is an upgrade.  Furthermore, he's paired Oher with his old OL coach.  If there is anyone in the league that knows how to get the best out of Oher, it is going to be him.

I don't love the idea of Oher being our best option at LT, but i'm happy that the Byron Bell experiment has finally come to an end and excited to see if Oher can be coached up to his prior playing level.

Yeah, the guy who thought Bell/Chandler would be fine for us on the o-line.

May pan out but yeah.

We had no money, so you have to make the best of nothing. I am sure he would rather have brought in a stud LT, but he couldn't say that in the press. They knew what they had and hoped they would make the most of it.

Note that Gettlemen says that Oher "CAN"  not "WILL".  Look for an OT in the draft.

Only the very best LTs actually defeat DEs in pass blocking. The whole idea for the others is to lose slowly. As crazy as it might sound, if Oher can just hold a couple beats longer than Bell, it will save a lot of wear and tear on Cam.

I mean all he's saying is he'll get a chance to start.  He'll probably go into training camp as the starter, which he should since he's got a lot of starting experience.  Still no doubt in my mind they'll spend a high draft pick on a tackle.

the good news is that at least we have Remmers at one of the OT spots this whole year which is an upgrade from Chandler

PFF:

Week 13 Carolina Panthers – Performances of Note

Mike Remmers, RT, +0.8

Breakdown: ... Remmers replaced the injured Nate Chandler at right tackle this week. His overall performance isn’t going to turn any heads, but a perfect day in pass protection is practically uncharted territory for Carolina’s offensive tackles this year.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/12/01/refo-panthers-vikings-week-13/

PFF:

Week 15 Carolina Panthers – Performances of Note

Mike Remmers, RT: +4.6

Breakdown: Have the Panthers found something in Remmers? A 2012 undrafted free agent out of Oregon State, he hasn’t just graded positively in each of his three starts this year, he’s actually improved in each. Perfect in pass protection, he also added some nice blocks against the run.

Signature Stat: Through the past three weeks, no offensive tackle has a higher Pass Blocking Efficiency Rating than Remmers’ 99.4.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/12/15/refo-buccaneers-at-panthers-week-15/

12/27/2014 Charlotte Observer

PFF has given Remmers a positive grade in three of his four starts, with the only negative grade coming last week against the Browns when he allowed two quarterback hits. But through four games he has not allowed a sack.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article9250163.html

but see:

PFF

Panthers @ Seahawks, Divisional Round

January 11, 2015

Mike Remmers, RT: -6.9

Breakdown: The former undrafted free agent put in some strong early showings for the Panthers in their run to the division title but was found out... in particular last night by the Seahawks’ trio of edge rushers. Remmers seemingly couldn’t get to grips with the speed of Cliff Avril in particular, surrendering pressure inside and out to the Seahawks’ defensive ends in almost equal measure.

Signature Stat: The seven pressures Remmers surrendered last night (2 Hits, 5 Hurries) were as many as he had surrendered in his first five starts for the Panthers.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/01/11/refo-panthers-seahawks-divisional-round/

Yes, he's been such a guru when evaluating out offensive tackles over his tenure here. Completely worthy of my blind faith.

what did you Want him to do? Tell everyone how much our tackle tandem sucked last year? His Hands were tied and spending big bucks on a LT when our cap hell Was at its worst Was definitely not part of DG's Master plan.

When has Gettleman ever smokescreened

If the guy thinks Oher is our starting LT than you can settle on Byron er um michael Oher as our starting LT. Out only hope now is that a guy falls onto our lap who isn't supposed to come draft day.

After Gettleman's confidence in Bell and Chandler last year, I have to take this comment with a grain of salt.  This signing had to have Matsko's approval and honestly, was great value on the FA market.  

That being said, I don't trust Oher on the left side and hope that he can string together 1 or 2 more above average seasons to bridge the gap until our new LT is ready.  Oher has the size, feet and athleticism but just gets overmatched routinely. 

I trusted Gettleman last year, but this year, I need some results.  

I'd rather he stick with scouting and balancing the checkbook than naming Michael Oher our starting LT with confidence.

Yes, he's been such a guru when evaluating out offensive tackles over his tenure here. Completely worthy of my blind faith.

Good god you are annoying. He's been here 2 years and Jordan Gross was his LT one year. The 2nd year they literally had no money and tried out Byron Bell. Byron Bell was such a disaster that they won the division and a playoff game.

Archived