• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman: Oher can be answer at left tackle

Jeremy Igo

Neither is it cool to simply complain about everything. Gettleman knew what he had in Bell. He has been a scout damn hear his entire career. I hope you don't think that the keyboard scouts here know more about player evaluation than the professionals. Do you really think he would make public statements to disparage him?

If this was true then he would've provided a stronger measure of competition for the position than he did. At the time I thought he just got suckered into the Bell hype from Ronny because that's Ronny's boy. But when you look at Gettleman's history and commentary on the position as a whole, as I stated earlier in the thread, I just don't think he values the offensive line all that much. Which is dumb.

It'd be fair to say that Cam barely survived. We can't continue to subject him to the types of beatings he endured last year.

I don't know why, but I just have a feeling that Oher is going to play well for us. Maybe not pro bowl well but be a huge step in the right direction for our team. We shall see. Hope that I am right. I trust DG and his evaluation of talent.

To people saying "Oher can't be worse than bell" forget that idea.

Go and watch film of Oher last year. He is a penalty machine and struggled against the pass as much as Bell.

He was not better than Bell last year. 

I'm trusting that his injury problems have been overcome and that Matsko can sort him out (Matsko is a damn good O Line coach) but right now this is as bad a situation as week 9 last season. 

this is literally what everybody is hoping.

i don't know why people think posters here think Michael Oher is some LT savant.

blind side was a really good movie doe

If you don't know anything about my post history, don't guess. I realized we didn't have many options last year, and I realize he wasn't going to come out and say "we're screwed at tackle" publicly.

But this reeks of the Bell treatment from last offseason. In other words, I don't really think Gettleman is really confident that Oher is our answer at left tackle. He's just trying to warm the fanbase up to the worst case scenario like he did last year.

I think it's fairly obvious that Oher isn't the answer at LT (hence the 2 year deal).  Oher is nothing more than a filler until we can address the LT position through the draft or FA (when we have more money to spend).

My point wasn't so much directed at you as it is of the tone of the majority here to complain about the move.  The only move that should have received unanimous grief from the fan base would have been to bring back Bell.

So no lt in the first?

Not only would I bet $100 that we'll take in the first, but Ogbuehi @57 makes sense too. He was #1 overall on many mocks before the start of the season, met with us at the combine, and GMan even mentioned him at our end of the year presser. He can also recover from injury without the need to play from day 1. Humphries (et al), Oher, Remmers, Ogbuehi.

It's March.  Lotta bitching without a lot of practical solutions.  This is not Madden.  Does anyone have any idea how many teams have LTs the fans are happy with?  They are hard to find and expensive.   Some are like homeless kids bitching to their Mom because they can't buy a pair of the new $230 Jordans.

We all agree that we need to bolster the tackle positions.

I don't know why, but I just have a feeling that Oher is going to play well for us. Maybe not pro bowl well but be a huge step in the right direction for our team. We shall see. Hope that I am right. I trust DG and his evaluation of talent.

I hope so.  I was fully onboard with the signing.  Worst case scenario, I still think he's better than Bell and simply "better than Bell" wasn't the type of improvement I was hoping for, but it is improvement.

No idea what this means.

I'm saying that I feel like Gettleman's history both here (and in New York, on the matter of offensive lineman in themselves) is enough to suggest that we probably shouldn't just assume this is a routine depth move on the path to truly fulfilling the need in the draft.

In fact, if that is the case, and he is waiting for the draft to address needs, I'm wondering just how many picks he thinks he has in the Top 60 before the starter level rookies start to drop off pretty significantly. Even if we do have an OT fall in our lap come draft night, it still doesn't address the other positions of needs on the roster, which is where my frustration of the last few days is born.

Guest Barry McCaulkinor

I'm fairly certain our new mantra is going to be "Panthers; turning the leftover scraps into 3 course 5 star meals"

Archived