• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This whole drafting the best player available talk around here is ridiculous

GoobyPls

Lol if you think Teams listen to outside scouting reports as much over their own scouting team.

Just

Lol.

Well...most teams do use Scouting Services in conjunction with there own Scouting Departments. But yeah, not many teams listen to Kiper or McShay.

That is a straight out lie. 

Star was 3rd or 4th round after his supposed heart aliment.

Less than 25% of mock drafts had us picking KB last year, they all had us going tackle.

You may need to do some research brah.

WHAT? you have to be kidding me

I clearly remember it was between Sheldon Richardson and Star as far as who we were going to draft.

You mean less than 5% of huddlers wanted Kelvin. Almost every mock draft on NFL, ESPN, Fox sports, CBS, Bleacher Report has us picking a WR.

You should of seen last season, hardly anybody wanted Kelvin on this forum, but when we picked him all of a sudden it was a genius move by Gettleman.

Yeah I remember plenty of people arguing against Benjamin.

The same ones were probably anti-Cam also.

a ton of butthurt tar heel fans hated the pick too

every other thread slamming it was made by somebody with a username that contained "unc" or "heel"

that would only make sense if we bypassed a Heel in the first that all of us wanted.which is not the case.

We had the same discussion last year and I'm sure we'll have the same discussion next year.

If each player a team scouts is given a numerical value 1-100 and is put on a board, then all other things being equal, yes, need will win out.

So if our pick comes up and there are five guys that are rated relatively close to each other, let's say a left tackle rated an 75, two wide receivers rated at 83 and 84, a cornerback at 85, and a defensive tackle at 97.

Under this scenario, there is no doubt in my mind that Gettleman picks the defensive tackle because he is overwhelmingly superior to the other players. Now of course it doesn't fill an immediate need, but as I stated before, rosters are a fluid entity that change constantly so what isn't a need right now might be a need soon.

Now let's take this same scenario and say the defensive tackle is an 84-85 value. In this scenario, I believe the team can go with the wideout over the defensive tackle, because even though the DT is technically the best player available, it is by such a minuscule margin that you can get the value there that you are looking for while also fulfilling an immediate need.

I would argue that in neither of these scenarios is it ok to take the left tackle, regardless of how badly we need one. Reason being, you simply can't pass up on either of the remaining players mentioned that are far superior to that player. Maybe, and it's a small maybe, if that tackle was as high as say an 83 could you entertain it, but even then it's a tough call I'd rather not make.

But then that's why the front office is in the war room and I'm writing this from the bathroom (shoutout to SCP). Because those are the calls they need to make during a draft that changes with each passing pick.

Thread

DG has told us his formula for BPA. It's where need and value meet. One thing we as fans don't necessarily have the full understanding of is the "need" part. These guys are looking at the long term of the team as much as or more than the upcoming season. They may know of a need that we don't necessarily see.

I'm glad we draft the way we are. Less opportunity to miss and waste a pick. We finally value draft picks. Remember trading draft picks for Armanti Edwards? That's how far we've come.

#Gettlemagic

Archived