• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers claim OT Jonathan Martin

jamos14

He's a young, large body with game experience but some past troubles. I'd think the Panthers are more family-like friendly than Miami (who allowed the bullying) and SF (who is just sideways weird & getting weirder). Kalil will make sure about that.

Simply claim him off waivers with the last year of an unguaranteed rookie contract? Hell yes. Welcome to Charlotte!

Two articles I read yesterday help me put this in perspective. Read both {short} articles & you'll see that no one is really paying him any attention. One has him starting 7 games, the other 9.

Martin started seven games at right tackle last season in place of injured Anthony Davis. He struggled in that role and allowed 7 1/2 sacks, according to STATS.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/49ers-waive-ol-jonathan-martin-1-season-team-212039629--nfl.html

That said, it seemed as though Martin's biggest fan was head coach Jim Harbaugh, who left the team to coach at Michigan this offseason. With Harbaugh gone, it's not particularly surprising to see Martin gone.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/3/26/8297157/jonathan-martin-waived-release-49ers

Can you explain why, in particular, you are not a fan?

You do realize we can cut him with no obligation, correct?

Yeah, I don't like it because I can't see any potential in Martin, even as a back-up. He has sucked his whole NFL career. Also, I worry that his "media baggage" might be too much for him mentally; same thing I worry about Oher/"Blindside".

But, I do hope Martin can redeem himself and become decent even though I'm pessimistic.

• Pie 1

I agree.

But he is a better lineman than Martin in both skill and makeup.

As a pure backup, I'd rather have Bell. But Carolina always wants Bell to be more than what he is

I would've rather had bell as a backup, as well. He was a known quantity to us. not starter material but more than capable to spell someone

Yeah, I don't like it because I can't see any potential in Martin, even as a back-up. 

And yet a professional in football evaluation, the General Manager of the Carolina Panthers, David Gettleman, obviously does see "potential".

And obviously thinks he's worth the RISK of bringing him in to compete and try to earn a position...

And by RISK, I mean NO RISK AT ALL since if it doesn't work out WE DON'T OWE HIM A GODDAM DIME.

So, in your long-time, professional football evaluators opinion, you're saying he's not worth that kind of "risk", eh?

Damn... Gettleman needs to be informed of this valuable information STAT.

• Pie 5