• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Should the Carolina Panthers Use an Early-Round Draft Pick on a Running Back?

Jeremy Igo

Some interesting stats here, looking at the running backs from the worst offensive lines in football (of which Carolina is a part, sadly)

Linky

You pointed the solution out in your own question , Our OL is terrible and it would be futile drafting a RB if you do not fix the OL issue first. 

I would be willing to draft Gurley or Jay Ajayi in the 2nd round, but OT in the 1st for sure.

P.S. We can all throw number out everyday but to my eye test Stewart did a hell of a job. Bell Cow 2015

With this constantly referred to by people in the NFL as a draft with maybe 15 "first round caliber" players. I think if you can get someone who if healthy would reportedly be a top 10 talent in Gurley you might as well do it.  Success historically comes for the panthers when they have a fantastic running game and a great pass rush, and the way it's looking thats the way we would like to build this team.  So if you can get someone you feel could be a top 5 running back in the league on a  5 year rookie contract I think you go for it.

Barring injuries I think the o line has been fixed. So I think that whoever runs the ball will have more success this year.  As for drafting one high, I am with those posters that says it really depends on who is available when we pick.  If a running back is truly the BPA and we can't approximate that pick somewhere down the line, then draft him. But dont draft someone for need at this point.  With running backs being devalued and with so many still available in free agency, it would be stupid to draft one high unless he was a real game changer.

Edit: autocorrect sucks sometimes.

I feel that if we have a good offensive line then we can be successful with an average RB. In fact I believe Darrin Reaves could put up good numbers behind a good offensive line like Dallas.

With Bell and Amini out of the starting rotation I feel our offensive line will improve dramatically.

Reamers and/or Martin is who will decide how good our offensive line will be. If one of them can do well then we should have a solid offensive line.

Honestly I would rather us draft a WR over RB but when you have a player with the Talent Gurley has it is hard not to draft him.

Don't get me wrong, we need a good RB and when Stewart goes down, that will become obvious.  Stephen Davis should ring a bell for some.  That kind of thing.   I want a player who can pass block, pick up blitzes, etc and gain 4-5 yards per carry. 

Stewart's success has as much to do with Cam's run threat and the late-season guard play (and his fresh legs) as anything.  Norwell and Turner will not be rookies, Silatolu is solid depth.  Kalil is still a pro and the QB of the line.  If we get better blocking out of Oher and whoever plays RT, we should be ready for a RB.

To me, after pass blocking ability, the most significant feature a RB has is vision-able to see the opening before it opens and explode into where it should be opening.  4.3 is nice, but not as important as vision.  When is a RB actually running full speed anyway?  After he clears the LBs maybe.  Doesn't happen much.

With the additions to the O-Line already that can be changed.  Norwell, Oher, Turner, Kalil, and Reemers/Martin>Bell, Amini, Kalil, Velasco, and Chandler.  As bad as our o-line was, it's already better, and I'm pretty content with not overdrafting for an o-lineman.  If Gurley is there, you take him unless you want a receiver at that time.  

LT is still a big question mark. Until we know what we have there, I don't see how anyone can declare that our OL has been "fixed".

Add in that we are assuming an UDFA RT, who is on his 6th NFL team in 2 years, is the answer at RT. 

LT is still a big question mark. Until we know what we have there, I don't see how anyone can declare that our OL has been "fixed".

Even if you don't wanna say 'fixed' though, would you agree that the line is better than it was last year?

Archived