• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Should the Carolina Panthers Use an Early-Round Draft Pick on a Running Back?

Jeremy Igo

Norwell and Remmers were good additions obviously. But everything is still going to hinge on LT.

Just being better than Byron Bell is not going to cut it, for me at least.

Also, unfortunately, I am not so sure that Ron Rivera will not try to put Amini Silatolu back in the lineup when he's healthy. That is also one factor that we have to keep in mind. I like Ron as a coach, but if not for some injuries last season forcing his hand, things may have been different.

Gettleman said the interior was set, so I doubt that changes.

I'll grant there are questions, but I'm pretty optimistic for the season to come.

Check back with me after the draft and I might even be more so.

Do you not have any faith in Oher, Reammers and Martin to get the job done?

I'm not sold. I like Remmers as potential but last year no one had seen him play, no tape, now teams will be prepared. As for a log term solution, no. No way in hell I have faith in Martin. Oher is an interesting player, he has the skills. At the most they might get the job done but we need future, promise, and really talent to be coached at the position. At the least it will offer hungry competition instead of relying on a couple rejects and a player without much experience.

Gross was still getting the job done but it would have been nice to draft someone to groom years ago. We have Cam now and his style of play demands an oline. He will hold onto the ball, he will bomb it. He will take his time. I just think the oline has to be better. I'm not talk all stars but just not in the bottom 5.

The game is won in the trenches, I really believe that. Can you imagine Stewy and Cam behind a monster oline? That to me is much more terrifying than a shiny new WR with no protection.

When the post season started I believed OT was absolutely #1 priority. We signed Oher and Martin who IMO will fix our issues even if it only a year or two.

I believe Gettleman had addressed all issues sufficiently enough to take BPA. If Gurley or Strong or either Collins is BPA that is who we'll take. So to respond to OP. I am OK with running back in early rounds.

Let me pose a question:

Would you rather have Muhsin Muhammad or Marshawn Lynch?

That's how I'm viewing the draft this year.

By the way, I would choose Lynch.

Do I already have Stewart at RB or no RB??

And what do I have at WR?? Cotchery? ?

When the post season started I believed OT was absolutely #1 priority. We signed Oher and Martin who IMO will fix our issues even if it only a year or two.

I believe Gettleman had addressed all issues sufficiently enough to take BPA. If Gurley or Strong or either Collins is BPA that is who we'll take. So to respond to OP. I am OK with running back in early rounds.

All our needs are fixed really??

looks like everyone is selling Fozzy short. he's a better prospect than any RB we would draft in the first 5 rounds not named Gurley and even then he could be damaged goods.

we need day 1 starters with our first 3 or 4 picks and I doubt any of them will be rbs. OL, WR, OLB and S. if we can get day 1 starters from those picks, we good.

LT is still a big question mark. Until we know what we have there, I don't see how anyone can declare that our OL has been "fixed".

Obviously no one knows the future and injuries can turn things around in a hurry but both Martin and Orr have played left tackle at a high level and have been successful.  I think that between the two of them they will get the job done.  I have faith in our coaches to get the most out of our players.  Look what Matsko did with Remmers and Norwell.  Seems to me that he surely can do a good job with guys with starting experience in the NFL.

So yeah as fixed as you can be in April.

I'm not sold. I like Remmers as potential but last year no one had seen him play, no tape, now teams will be prepared. As for a log term solution, no. No way in hell I have faith in Martin. Oher is an interesting player, he has the skills. At the most they might get the job done but we need future, promise, and really talent to be coached at the position. At the least it will offer hungry competition instead of relying on a couple rejects and a player without much experience.

Gross was still getting the job done but it would have been nice to draft someone to groom years ago. We have Cam now and his style of play demands an oline. He will hold onto the ball, he will bomb it. He will take his time. I just think the oline has to be better. I'm not talk all stars but just not in the bottom 5.

The game is won in the trenches, I really believe that. Can you imagine Stewy and Cam behind a monster oline? That to me is much more terrifying than a shiny new WR with no protection.

And why do you think that a draft pick even in the first round will magically fix our O line at left tackle.  For that matter 2 rookies.  I would think that by now folks have figured that linemen rarely come in and perform adequately in their rookie season.  Look at Matthews in Atlanta who was selected 6th in the draft which is long way from 25.  He was supposed to come in and fix their line.  Instead he struggled mightily.  Frankly you better hope Remmers and Oher and Martin can come in and start right away because they are going to be better than any rookie we are bringing in,

I really don't see drafting a OT in the first after signing Oher and Martin so I'll cross that off my list. 

If we don't sign Jennings then my top choice would be Strong in the 1st, but if we do sign Jennings then I am all aboard the Todd Gurley train. 

Archived