• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CBS' Prisco hates the pick & SB Nation's Kadar, lukewarm

top dawg

25 (Grade: D) CAR.pngPanthers select: Shaq Green-Thompson, OLB, Washington

I don't get this pick at all. They have a major need on the offensive line. Where does Thompson play?

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/4/30/8525679/2015-nfl-draft-grades-buccaneers-titans-giants-cowboys-browns-saints

25. Carolina Panthers - Shaq Thompson, LB, Washington

What is Thompson in the NFL? A safety? A linebacker? On a team like Carolina, whereThomas Davis has been a stalwart, I'm still not sure. You wonder if Panthers had their eyes on offensive tackles and went Thompson after six tackles were picked ahead of them. From that standpoint, it's understandable. Instead of getting the seventh tackle, they get Thompson, the draft's top pure weak-side linebacker, assuming he plays there.

Grade: C+

I just wonder what all the other analysts think considering that none of him had him mocked in the first which makes me wonder if we could have waited until 57 to get him.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/mock-drafts(It just disturbs me that Thompson isn't projected anywhere)

From what Mayock said, most of the analysts had Thompson mocked on day 2 or 3 (i.e., Shaq's a reach). Ironically, I just heard Louis Riddick question the pick on Mike & Mike, and said we could have gotten him later.

Now there are plenty of positive things that have been said about Shaq, regardless if he was a reach. He is apparently a helluva football player which always bodes well.  I guess it's  all gonna depend on the application and integration of Shaq into the defense.  

I gotta say that this is really the first time that I feel some real anxiety about Gettleman's steadfastness to his philosophy. I am wondering if the steadfastness is turning to stubbornness.  I guess we'll find out as the days go on.  

There wasn't an OT left for us. There isn't much of a difference between the WR talent available at 25 and the talent that will be there in round 2. The team obviously loved Shaq and felt like he'd make the biggest impact of the players that were left. Love the pick.

At the beginning of the draft process Shaq was a locked first round pick. He dropped because of his 40 time (he did great in other drills) and because people claim he's undersized. He's not undersized. The 40 time is overblown. He's still first round talent. 

Add Shaun King to the mix ... Panthers are the biggest Day 1 Loser ... 'Doesn't know what Dave Gettleman was thinking' ... if they wanted to go LB, better players were available.

Time for the Homers to hate ... analysts know nothing ... fans know less ... OUR GM is the only person on this planet with football knowledge.  Same group that was defending Hurney and every move the Panthers made.  Not saying Shaq is a bad player but even he was surprised to be picked on day 1. 

I said before, I love the pick, but hate the spot.  I think we could have bent someone like the Saints, Jags, or Titans over so they could get the combine MVP in Breshad Perriman.  If we had moved back into the top of the second round, we still get Shaq but we get another pick that we can bundle to move up to assure ourselves of Getting Jake Fisher who would be an amazing fit for us here.  We still may move up, and if we end up with Shaq and Fisher in the first 2 rounds, I'll be very happy, but I'd be more sure if we had moved back a bit.

That said, remember, last year it was said that KB was a 2nd round talent and we "reached" for him.  It wasn't until we started seeing his physical tools and his real 40 time that we really took notice and then how he performed took all the doubt about where he "should" have been drafted out of the question.  Also, understand, the drop from KB to Marquise lee was significant in the draft, the drop off from Devin Smith to Tyler Lockett IMO was not so huge, so thats why not reaching for a receiver was not necessarily smart move to me.  BPA value just did not match any true position of need yesterday, on to a new day.

Archived