• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

That Other Panther Receiver....Jarrett Boykin

SetfreexX

I think people are way overhyping Byrd. He is fast. Has he really proven anything else? He might be good, but people just see that 40 and assume he is everything we ever needed.

It's the huddle. Fast receivers always equal good ones. Like David Gettis and Drew Carter!

With the Corey Brown ''Highlight Thread'' going up, I thought I'd take a look at the newest non-drafted Panther receiver. I must say I had some familiarity with him, but just comparing the videos I saw more separation, ability to go up and fight over DB's, HANDS catching and YAC. From the Brown video, I saw body catch after body catch, a receiver who fell damn near every catch, and no real separation. He looked good as a gadget guy on the edge during the reverses and option play.

But what does he really offer over Ginn who already put up better numbers in this offense in the same 3rd receiver role who has KR/PR value...and over Boykin who is a better receiver prospect? Oh and just for fun here's some Ted Ginn highlights in case you forgot what we lost in the 2014 purge, enjoy....

Boykin is very sneaky fast and he seems to catch the ball looking to run.  Good observations.

Boykin's game reminds me of Smitty if he were bigger. Boykin isn't nearly as explosive as Smitty but he doesn't appear to be afraid to make the tough catches. He'll be fighter with a high motor.

T.G.Jr is who we all know he is. A speed demon. That man looks like he's just getting going and building a head of steam as he's passing by people going at their full speed already.

I think people are way overhyping Byrd. He is fast. Has he really proven anything else? He might be good, but people just see that 40 and assume he is everything we ever needed.

if nothing else be provided Jones competition for fastest guy on the team.

Boykin and Brown are probably not competing against one another because the Panthers are looking for skill sets that give them different packages for different situations. 

Boykin is 6'2", 220.  He catches the ball over the middle well.  He blocks pretty well, and he (at Green Bay, at least) contributed to all 4 areas of special teams.   Brown is not that player.

We have our big WRs, who will play #1 and #2.  #3 WR is where this team gets interesting.

SPEED:  Ginn, Brown, Hill and for you Gamecock fans, Byrd  (so Brown is in competition with Hill, because nobody is cutting Ginn)

POSSESSION: Boykin, Bersin, Cotchery  (I doubt Cotchery gets cut, so I would say, for special teams purposes alone, Boykin makes the roster.  It ain't this simple, but they will do something like this:

ROSTER

#1 Kelvin Benjamin (for now)

#2 Devin Funchess

#3 SPEED: Ted Ginn (Special teams returner first, speed WR second)

#3 POSSESSION: Jerricho Cotchery (Veteran the coaches love)

#4 SPEED: Philly Brown (I think they want Stephen Hill to beat him out)

#4 POSSESSION: Jarrett Boykin (Special teams ability makes this easy)

K.b, funchess both locks

ginn

philly

Boykin

If we do keep a 6th wr its going to come down to cotch, hill or bersin.

I have philly and boykin over cotchery because of age , one of the reason we got rid of steve smith was to build a wr core that would be around for a while and cotchery I thought was going to get the boot last offseason and I also thought he would get cut during the season , the only way I could see him on the roster is if rivera talks highly about him. Imo id even take bersin over him

Archived