• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stephen Hill and Corey Brown Impress at OTAs

Jeremy Igo

I said weeks ago, Corey will be out number 2 going into the season and I'm staying by that prediction

Btw please do more after practice/game interviews. Panthers.com is seriously lacking there when it come to locker room interviews. I go on other teams sites, they interview and show everybody and it be 5 min videos sometimes. That's what I want

• Pie 1

I realize that I'm kind of stating the obvious, but Cam and DA have a lot to do with which WRs make the roster.

They control who they target, it's on the WR to catch the ball, but if they choose their favorites, there's not much a reciever can do (even if they bust their tail) to get a ball thrown to them.

Not trying to start some wazoo conspiracy here, just realize that there is some truth to it. I'd have zero problems if Philly and Hill continue to impress, and make the final roster

​Ideally, the defense dictates who they target.  You start getting into trouble when you try to force the ball to a specific person.

Im not saying that having favorites has no effect.. but it shouldn't have a big one.

Also, coaches must have a way of preventing that from happening.  They must have a way of evaluating receivers without letting the quarterback decide who makes it based off of who his best friends/favorite receivers are.

​Coaches have both the eye test, and practice film as tools to evaluate. They know who is doing what, and how well they are doing it. Cam having favorites is not a bad thing. As long as everyone gets their work in, let Cam get comfy with anyone he wants. The more the merrier as far as I am concerned.

We have a pretty young WR corp. If they stay together for a few years, there are plenty of practice, and game reps for Cam to get comfy with all his weapons. And it is only going to get better from this point on.

I am most interested in seeing whether the added weight and strength will help him stay healthy this year.  Whether he is a 3 or a 5 will be related to the number of snaps he gets.  That will depend on how often he is on the field.  He made some good plays when he was healthy.  A number 3 has to be able to step up and take as many snaps as needed and be as productive as a starter on a quality stat like yards per reception. Brown is going to have to be stronger and quicker to avoid being hurt like he was last year. And he is going to have lots of competition for that spot. 

​That's not really how it works. Funchess will line up in the slot regardless of whoever could go outside. He plays all the wideout positions and will be moved around based on the package. Philly showed last year he is capable of playing the Z receiver spot and the slot, so I see him and Funch moving around a lot. It's not as simple as "WR1 and WR2 are outside and WR3 is in the slot."

....but......MADDEN!!!

Hard to believe with what we have fielded in recent seasons at the position, but I'm cautiously optimistic about WR this year.

Really excited to read about the progression of Corey Brown. He was impressive last season and hope he makes that second year jump!