• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Keep Tolbert as a HB?

Donald LaFell

I've been thinking lately. With all the talk of Tolbert slimming down and the strong play of Ward as a true lead-blocking FB, do you think we'll considering him more of a HB?

We could keep Stewart, Tolbert, CAP, and Todman. Keep Ward as the FB. Activate any 4 of those on guys on gameday?

Thoughts?

Tolbert is very good at blitz pickup and is a reliable pass catcher out of the backfield.  I could see them moving Tolbert to HB, but that doesn't increase Ward's chances of sticking on anything more than the practice squad IMO.

I like Lee Ward like a lot of you, but the fullback is so undervalued in the NFL it's borderline ridiculous.  He never would have went undrafted 10 years ago, and probably not 5 years ago.  

The Panthers in 2003 would run a lot of sets with 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 FB, and 1 RB.  A decent amount of the time it would be just Smitty and Moose running the primary routes with Davis/Foster leaking out as the checkdown and the TE and FB (Hoover) being in to block on passing plays.  The advantage is you could run a lot of  7 seven step drops with long developing patterns that would go downfield, but it required a lot more on the WR's to be able to read and beat coverages.  And an O-Line that could sustain blocks, which obviously hasn't been the Panthers strong suit the last few years.

You rarely see those formations anymore.  Even if there are 2 TE's, 1 of them is almost always split out.  3 WR's is the norm for a lot of teams.  In 2013 (from Football Outsiders), teams only utilized a 21 personnel (2 RB's- with one of them being a fullback) only about 13% of the time, and many times it was a blocking TE (i.e. Ritchie Brockel) fulfilling that role versus a traditional fullback.

It's a numbers game, and teams want to have more eligible receivers running patterns.  Especially with a QB that can break containment and scramble as well as Newton, there is less value in an additional dedicated blocker versus another receiver.

In the run game, the option offense (zone read) is based more on reacting to the defense than the traditional power I-formation with the fullback clearing the way, so again the advantage of a dedicated FB is reduced.

Tolbert's probably staying regardless of his position title. He's great at blitz pick-up, can catch and run, is a valuable option in the red zone, and plays special teams.

RB#2, RB#3, FB#1, FB#2, whatever. His title isn't important. Having him on the active game-day roster is.

I've been thinking lately. With all the talk of Tolbert slimming down and the strong play of Ward as a true lead-blocking FB, do you think we'll considering him more of a HB?

We could keep Stewart, Tolbert, CAP, and Todman. Keep Ward as the FB. Activate any 4 of those on guys on gameday?

Thoughts?

I think Tolbert has been a HB since he arrived in Carolina.....occasionally asked to be a FB

It blows my fugin mind why Brockel would make the Roster over Ward! Brockel is a "TE" but it aint like hes going past the line of scrimage for a pass! Hes a fckin blocker! Might as well have the mauler out there! Tolbert isnt even a Blocking FB. How many times will we see Stew and Tolbert in the I-Formation? Very little

fug this poo

Archived