• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sports Illustrated's Doug Farrar Get's It/The Panthers

FootballMaestro

Dough Farrar of SI get's it indeed.

He Gets It, regarding Cam Newton. He gets it, regarding the Panther offense and receivers. And he get it, regarding the Panther defense and team. He's actually watched the games and payed attention-apparently (and not just recently by reading his article)?

Who would have Thunk it!?...

Here's the first paragraph of his article.

Cam Newton has been dealing with negative perceptions for a long time, from a turbulent two years at Florida that led to his transfer to a junior college, to his Heisman-winning national championship season at Auburn, to the subsequent pre-draft scrutiny that came off as nothing more than character assassination from some corners. Even as he claimed Offensive Rookie of the Year honors and brought the Panthers back to respectability early in his career, he was labeled a running quarterback, generally by people more interested in his physical abilities than anything gleaned from tape study.

Here's another line to show he actually watches the team:

More than ever—and this is a far greater test of his maturity than the critics of his celebrations pose—Newton has become a master of tuning out the noise. One of those five touchdown passes went to rookie Devin Funchess, who made his first NFL start after Corey Brown suffered a shoulder injury in practice this week. Newton has been victimized by bad routes and big drops all season, but you never see or hear him throwing those undermanned targets under the bus. If throwing the ball doesn’t work, Newton can always lean on the most complex, and one of the most effective, rushing attacks in the NFL

Farrar followed the above with:

And yet, you’ll still hear that this Panthers team has a low offensive ceiling. Perhaps it’s because in today’s NFL, people are used to high-octane passing offenses ruling the day. Never mind that the 49ers and Seahawks, who have represented the NFC in the last three Super Bowls, did so with a very similar style to Carolina’s. But the Panthers have scored at least 20 points in each game, and on Sunday, the ways in which Newton made those five touchdowns happen showed why there’s a hidden gear to this offense.

He then proceeded to break down all 5 Newton TD passes to illustrate his point (which I didn't list here). You gotta go to the site for that.

He followed that one up by giving the defense some Dap (not DAB guys for you dancers out there):

Newton finished his day with 21 completions on 34 attempts for 246 yards. The other quarterback in this game, Washington’s Kirk Cousins, was under fire all day from Carolina’s opportunistic defense. The Panthers set a team record with five forced fumbles and sacked Cousins five times, restating what they’ve proved all season: This is a great team on both sides of the ball.

He follows, and closes the article with this smart ending and statement/question:

To some, none of this will matter. They’ll continue to find ways in which Newton offends them, or doesn’t fit their profile of what a quarterback is supposed to look like. All he can do is smile—yes, that infamous insincere smile—and keep helping his team win games.

Yes, Cam Newton danced again. Yes, Cam Newton scored again. Yes, Cam Newton’s team won again.

Perhaps at some point, those who criticize him will understand. 

Why can't more national media be this lucid?

Panther Nation, doesn't necessarily ask for glowing comments or slurping by National Media. Of course not. All we ask is, if/when you're going to comment on the team, and/or make strident, inflammatory, dismissive, or demeaning remarks about them... How about actually knowing what you're talking about, or  watching a Panther game for a change!?

I will tip my cap, and say "Thank You Mr. Farrar"..."A Lil Dab Will Do ya!" And to so many other national reporters out there (you know who you are) ...Face Palm!

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/11/22/cam-newton-touchdowns-panthers-redskins-week-11

8 minutes ago, Mother Grabber said:

I wonder how many weeks of being a top 5 offense it will take for people to stop saying we are a low scoring, defensive team

They will continue to say this to discredit Cam, but they can keep on hating because Cam will keep on winning and dabbin'!!!

Great article good find my man...one of the better articles on Cam/Panthers you'll find...

Yea I have to say as a big Shula hater he is slowly gaining my favor(lol like my favor is worth two shits)...Shula did call a good game today even if I felt like Cam should have ran one of those in and just gotten that record....then again it goes to show you that this team doesn't care about records like the loser ass Saints and Brees.(lol seriously those fags actually petitioned the league for changing a call post game that took records away from Brees)

Our redzone offense had been stalling somewhat often but lately we've been scoring TDs instead of FGs which is huge....

You know, we've done pretty well this year with no in-depth analysis from media types..... I'm not sure I'm ok with this newfangled reporting with facts and measured analysis.  I would prefer to tweet this nugget...

"The other quarterback in this game, Washington’s Kirk Cousins, was under fire all day from Carolina’s opportunistic defense."

He called us "Opportunistic"!!!!!!

What a Dis!

Twitter Army, Assemble!

24 minutes ago, Cookie Lyon said:

They will continue to say this to discredit Cam, but they can keep on hating because Cam will keep on winning and dabbin'!!!

Besides what you said. What they fail to realize (since they don't watch the games), only looking at Cam's total yards, thinking the offense's not doing much. The Panthers usually rush out to leads (usually because of the offense), then basically try to run out the clock, and keep em honest here and there. So Cam rarely has to throw for 300-400 yards a game like most QB's  (knock on wood).

If it was another QB or team, they would point that out. However, since it's the Panthers, they keep telling the Same Ole Story, while ignoring the 30ppg average.

Go figure!

Good find.  While they don't count in the standings, style points count with the media.  As a small market team with a 'controversial' QB, it's going to take some time for the media to recognize what we have. poo, we've won the NFCS twice in a row, which is a first, and they still don't take heed.

panther fans, we have a special team here.  We're not the moated talented, but we're the best TEAM.    I'm really enjoying this ride as we all should.  F the naysayers, cause they don't mean a thing.  KEEP POUNDING.

1 hour ago, FootballMaestro said:

Besides what you said. What they fail to realize (since they don't watch the games), only looking at Cam's total yards, thinking the offense's not doing much. The Panthers usually rush out to leads (usually because of the offense), then basically try to run out the clock, and keep em honest here and there. So Cam rarely has to throw for 300-400 yards a game like most QB's  (knock on wood).

If it was another QB or team, they would point that out. However, since it's the Panthers, they keep telling the Same Ole Story, while ignoring the 30ppg average.

Go figure!

Yea this crossed my mind earlier today. Wondering just how far Cam would push those stats today. I immediately remembered what team I was thinking about and knew our foot would come off the gas pretty early (mid third quarter?). I certainly appreciate pulling the starters so as not to risk injury, especially as chippy as it was all game, and I appreciate the strategy behind going more run heavy to run out the clock but sometimes I wish we would just keep going full speed to give us fans some more ammo in our water cooler discussions and go a little further toward shifting public (media) perception which just goes off the stat sheet 90% of the time. 

As long as we keep winning I'm happy though :)

Archived