• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

KK Short Is The Carolina Panthers Defensive MVP

Jeremy Igo

It's Norman or Luke.  I love KK, but we've always had a dominant pass rush, but never have we had a shut down corner to go along with that.  Norman has been that and much more, Defensive MVP is his for sure.  

KK's not even the best DT in the conference.  Hello Aaron Donald.  While there is no competition for J-No right now in the NFC.  

Edited by nctarheel0619
  • Pie 1

I think that's a pretty legit analysis but if anything I'd lean more towards Norman.

Luke is awesome and the best linebacker in the game and the defense is on another level with him out there, I'm not so sure that Norman would be harder to replace than Luke right now.

Damn, this is an awesome "problem" to have... figuring out who the best star D player we have is. :)

• Pie 7

I agree and I was saying this to friends this week. However, I think point 2 is invalid simply because it literally goes both ways.

What I mean by that is that KK also benefits from Josh. If everyone is covered, then the QB holds onto the ball longer and thus KK gets the sack.

The point is valid both ways in a symbiotic way. But I agree. KK has been a consistent force to be reckoned with all year. That high level consistency is invaluable. Thus MVP.

• Pie 4

I can't agree.  Short has sort of been quiet at times but Norman has to keep it up every game.  I'm not saying Short isn't doing work.  I think it's the other way around, I think Norman and the improved secondary is helping out our pash rush this year.   While we won without Luke, it was in a different way.   The Saints with McCown killed us in the middle with short passes that Luke doesn't let happen often, and Luke's run defense was noticeable.   It's almost a 3-way tie.  

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, nctarheel0619 said:

It's Norman or Luke.  I love KK, but we've always had a dominant pass rush, but never have we had a shut down corner to go along with that.  Norman has been that and much more, Defensive MVP is his for sure.  

KK's not even the best DT in the conference.  Hello Aaron Donald.  While there is no competition for J-No right now in the NFC.  

Donald is irrelevant to the discussion of a Panther specific award.

• Pie 4

No offense to Luke or Josh but Jeremy is right.  That should be the only time anyone ever says that on the board.

No matter how good a LB, that is not a pass rusher, or a DB is they can only have so much impact on a game. If you throw the ball to the other side of the field Josh has no impact on that play, he is covering his guy and keeping the throw from coming his way but if it was designed to go the other way anyway he cant stop it.  If you throw the ball outside the numbers, short or deep Luke cant have an effect on the play.  He can tackle the guy after he catches it but unless he is in man coverage he is going to be in the middle of the field and unless he has a 1/2 second 30 yard dash he cant get there.

A defensive lineman can effect every play he is on the field.  If the ball is run at him he can stop it.  If the ball is run away from him he can chase it down from behind.  If its a screen he can knock the pass down or tackle the back before he gets started.  If its a quick pass he can either push the lineman back into the quaterback and disrupt the throw or knock the pass now.  Or, of course he can sack the quarterback.  That's why everyone refers the JJ Watt as the best defensive player in the NFL.  He just impacts the game more than Luke or anyone else can except another defensive lineman.  KK has had the same kind of impact on our defensive as JJ Watt has for the Houston defensive.  So I would have to agree with Jeremy this time.  Damnit