• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Simple fix for kicking game

redbuddha

I am not a football coach, nor an advanced football strategist, so this is what I would propose as a former HS kicker.

Problem: Not sure what is going on in the blocking schemes. We have guys leaping over the middle and guys running around the side. 

So part of the issue is timing, and the other issue is no threat of anything but a kick happening. 

Simple solution: Insert Joe Webb as the holder. This introduces a run/pass threat, which if the Special teams coordinator could then use to 1) alter pace/sound of snap count throwing off timing of defense, and two keeps guys on the end honest with the threat of the ever versatile Joe Webb taking off or passing downfield.

Your thoughts

Actually, the problem is not blocking, it would seem. We have had a TON of near blocks, and I think we had a block earlier this season. In addition, our OL is getting blown back off the ball quite often.  Go back to Seattle last year.  Jumping over the center.  Is that a blocking issue, or a timing issue?  Now, the only way this happens is if the defense knows when we are snapping the ball, perhaps before we do.  If we are on a silent snap count (most field goals and extra points are) then the defense sees something our OL and blocking backs can't. 

Chancellor knew exactly when we were snapping the ball.  Rivera said (vs. NY) that Cromartie got such a good jump, there was no way the wing (Jacobs) could block him.  (if Cromartie was onsides, that should never be the case).  Unless Cromartie (and Chancellor) could see a head bob, a hand flex, a nod, etc.  that told them the ball is being snapped in .4 seconds, they should never be able to beat the offense to the offensive side of the ball.  The OL then should never be blown back--unless the defense knows when the ball is being snapped before the OL do.

At first, I thought Jansen was giving away (a "tell").  But if the outside blockers see it, and Chancellor in the middle sees it, it is possible that the issue is with  holder.  My money, since the kicker is pretty still until the snap, is that Nortman is giving away the snap.  Jansen or Nortman is giving away the snap, in my opinion. 

Just a theory, but it makes sense on every level.  Think about it--if you knew the snap moment, could you block the FG?  In most cases, probably not, but it would increase your chances. 

I like both ideas presented in this thread. The Panthers are already changing snap counts, but I think in the playoffs we should make a team pay for being so agressive. Put Joe Webb (or better yet, DA) in as the holder, and put Ginn or Philly on the end. Have them chip their blocker and then streak down the field. Have the QB hide the ball behind his back, stand up and heave it down field to an receiver who should be essentially uncovered for a score. 

This hinges on the kicker being a great actor and following through with a kick. While everyone is looking to see if it went through, the QB can be sizing up that open receiver. We all know that once a field goal unit sees the ball has been kicked, they stand up. I think we use this to our advantage have the guys time it our so that the kicker fakes the kick and our OL stands up and acts like they are looking for the uprights, then as this is happening, the QB stands up and chucks the ball downfield.

In pure Bill Belichek mode: Have Webb taking alternate placekicking snaps in pregame and during every game situation on the sidelines. You trot out regular place holder, other team calls obligatory ice kicker to. Now trot out Webb, after the time out. Effectively freezes ends and jumper.

biggest issue is timing is too predictable and every team in the NFL has honed in on it.  Teams can masterfully time it now.   

You would THINK that after the Seattle playoff game our coaches would have addressed it.  They still haven't. 

Archived