• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

McDermott Interviewing with Bucs

AntiBuc

2 hours ago, panthers55 said:

From what I have read they seem fixed on hiring their offensive coordinator as their new head coach.  They have to interview a few guys including a minority candidate in order to satisfy the Rooney rule and give the perception that they are actually doing a candidate search instead of just promoting from within.   So I not sure how serious they are at this point in looking at McDermott.  But they could sure use his assessment of their weaknesses and his plan to fix their defense.

that is what the media reports but you have to keep in mind the Glaziers have historically never done what people think they will do (or should do)

Can't predict what certain franchises will do b/c they are way too unpredictable but the Tampa gig is at least one McD should be interested in (not Cleveland)

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

that is what the media reports but you have to keep in mind the Glaziers have historically never done what people think they will do (or should do)

Plus, they also have only hired defensive HCs. By all reports, Lovie ultimately was out of a job b/c of the Tampa defense.

Can't predict what certain franchises will do b/c they are way too unpredictable but the Tampa gig is at least one McD should be interested in (not Cleveland)

Wasn't Gruden known as a QB coach? Not sure what Schiano was known for other than being a small time (what was it Temple) college coach.

It's McDermotts choice to interview while we are preparing for the playoffs. In 2013 when we were going to face San Fran he was interviewing with the skins. Maybe he cares more about an HC job then preperation. Say what you want about Shula but he's not doing interviews while we're in the playoffs

5 minutes ago, Moorgan said:

Wasn't Gruden known as a QB coach? Not sure what Schiano was known for other than being a small time (what was it Temple) college coach.

Schiano made Rutgers relevant which is a pretty impressive feat given their recent history.

13 minutes ago, Moorgan said:

wow, total brain fart.   100% correct on Gruden being an offensive guy.  I totally had a brain fart and was logging him under defense.  Disregard all my DC talk. 

Interviewing with a division rival heading into the playoffs during an historic season for our franchise? Meh.

Mike Shula has gotten a lot of flack here over the years, but you have to give him kudos for sticking to his priorities, and seeing the importance of what happens in the postseason right now not just for our team, but for his resume as a coach in general moving forward.

2 hours ago, KillerKat said:

The NFL needs to put in rules for this. Interviews should take place after the Super Bowl

It use to be that way. They changed it so successful teams can lose there staff to unsuccessful ones.  Parody my friend. 

Just now, TheRed said:

Interviewing with a division rival heading into the playoffs during an historic season for our franchise? Meh.

Mike Shula has gotten a lot of flack here over the years, but you have to give him kudos for sticking to his priorities, and seeing the importance of what happens in the postseason right now not just for our team, but for his resume as a coach in general moving forward.

Yea I can promise McDermott has been gone all week and has not done anything panther related. 

Archived