• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

McDermott Interviewing with Bucs

AntiBuc

Man! There's some salty, jealous bitches in here. We'll be fine. This is Friday of our week off. Rivera already said they were going to have tape of all of our potential opponents broken down earlier this week. Part of the benefit of earning a first round bye is buying yourself a little extra time. I have no doubt that he's going to have his guys prepared for the playoffs. Why begrudge the guy a chance at one of his dreams? It's probably just due diligence on the Bucs' part anyway. 

2 hours ago, sharkkiller said:

There used to be a rule about not being able to interview a coach of a team in the playoffs. But as Cyberjag said, it was penalizing both the coaches and the teams. Good assistants were getting to the playoffs, and teams would hire someone before they were done. So they put in the rule that you could interview, but it had to be in your home city, and only during the bye week.

So make the rule that no one can interview until after the SB. I understand that these coordinators are committed professionals, but it has to be a distraction. McDermott needs to be focusing 100% on what he's doing with the Panthers.

Just now, shaqattaq said:

So make the rule that no one can interview until after the SB. I understand that these coordinators are committed professionals, but it has to be a distraction. McDermott needs to be focusing 100% on what he's doing with the Panthers.

Oh, I agree with you. I was just explaining the rules as it is and the reasons for it.

1 hour ago, CRA said:

that is what the media reports but you have to keep in mind the Glaziers have historically never done what people think they will do (or should do)

Can't predict what certain franchises will do b/c they are way too unpredictable but the Tampa gig is at least one McD should be interested in (not Cleveland)

The problem that Tampa has had over the years has not been defense but rather offense.  Dirk as the OC has turned the offense around from being 30th in the league in 2014 to 6th in 2015. If they thought they could keep their OC and get someone like McDermott, they would do it in a heartbeat.  So the question they have to ask is it better to go defensive coordinator as your head coach and possibly regress on the offense if your coordinator leaves, or keep Dirk to build the offense and bring in a defensive guy as your DC.  Or steal all of McDermott's ideas and bring in some up and coming guy.

As for should he interview, it is a double edge sword.  Practice makes you a better interviewer but like in Rivera's case it can be used against you.  One of Ron's knocks was that he was interviewed 9 times before he got the gig  here.  People just assumed that if he very so good then why did so many teams pass over him.  So you want to interview but only those jobs where they are serious and not just using you.

I don't know why some of you are so worried about what McDermott does.  He's not the mastermind behind our defense.  We already got his replacement on the staff, who's been here at least three years already waiting for him to leave.  We know Rivera truly controls what we do on defense, and besides that, Kuechly has the freedom to adjust defensive calls as he sees fit.  Shoot, I could be defensive coordinator for this team, or any of us.  Why are all of you so scared if he leaves or goes to another team within the division?  In any case it doesn't matter concerning the Bucs as they already have their coach.  They're just going through the mandatory interview process.

4 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

The problem that Tampa has had over the years has not been defense but rather offense.  Dirk as the OC has turned the offense around from being 30th in the league in 2014 to 6th in 2015. If they thought they could keep their OC and get someone like McDermott, they would do it in a heartbeat.  So the question they have to ask is it better to go defensive coordinator as your head coach and possibly regress on the offense if your coordinator leaves, or keep Dirk to build the offense and bring in a defensive guy as your DC.  Or steal all of McDermott's ideas and bring in some up and coming guy.

As for should he interview, it is a double edge sword.  Practice makes you a better interviewer but like in Rivera's case it can be used against you.  One of Ron's knocks was that he was interviewed 9 times before he got the gig  here.  People just assumed that if he very so good then why did so many teams pass over him.  So you want to interview but only those jobs where they are serious and not just using you.

If I was a Tampa fan, I would vote for the Carolina model.  Assume the QB is that good where he eventually takes care of the offensive part as he grows and get a defensive staff (great one).  Ron IMO was always a clearly better defensive guy than Lovie. 

only concern about not going with Dirk is young QBs need a stable offense 

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

If I was a Tampa fan, I would vote for the Carolina model.  Assume the QB is that good where he eventually takes care of the offensive part as he grows and get a defensive staff (great one).  Ron IMO was always a clearly better defensive guy than Lovie. 

only concern about not going with Dirk is young QBs need a stable offense 

The other problem is that McDermott is not applying for their DC job which he would get hands down of course.  He is applying for a head coaching job and has no head coach experience at any level.  Tampa is not going to be patient and wants instant results.  Koetter was a very successful head coach at Boise State and Arizona State and has had more varied experience in the NFL compared to McDermott.  If I were deciding who to pick I would think that Koetter has a much greater chance of turning things around quickly than does McDermott who would have the same kind of learning curve that Rivera did.  I just dont think the Glazers will be as patient as Richardson was.

9 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

The other problem is that McDermott is not applying for their DC job which he would get hands down of course.  He is applying for a head coaching job and has no head coach experience at any level.  Tampa is not going to be patient and wants instant results.  Koetter was a very successful head coach at Boise State and Arizona State and has had more varied experience in the NFL compared to McDermott.  If I were deciding who to pick I would think that Koetter has a much greater chance of turning things around quickly than does McDermott who would have the same kind of learning curve that Rivera did.  I just dont think the Glazers will be as patient as Richardson was.

true, there might be only handful franchises that would have shown the type patience Jerry has in regards to letting Rivera develop.

McD could at least of learned some things from Ron's experience....Ron unlike most HCs is actually a pretty open guy about his own faults and journey.  I think McD if he gets a HC gig will have a more experienced staff starting off than Ron.

Archived