• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tom Brady: The Winner

teeray

I put this in another thread but might as well put it here to.  This is the double standard that is hard for some of us to reconcile.

This quote is from the segment, which was entitled “Tom Brady: The Winner.” Brady was asked about how competitive he is with everything, even with silly things like backgammon:

“I’m a pretty good winner. I’m a terrible loser. And I rub it in pretty good when I win. But as soon as I lose, those backgammon sets, I broke more backgammon sets. I’ve dropped elbows on ’em. I don’t know. It’s like I wish I had a punching bag nearby sometimes.”

Context is obviously the key difference here. They both acted the same way, but Cam did it on the biggest stage when everybody was watching him, and immediately after the most substantial loss of his career. Brady recalled his story fondly in a light-hearted television profile. But in some ways that actually makes it more excusable on Cam Newton’s part. After all, he’s 26 and HE HAD JUST LOST THE SUPER BOWL. As Brady shows, being an NFL quarterback requires a ultra-competitive mindset, so don’t hold Newton to a double standard.

Oh and by the way: Tom Brady has walked out of a press conference, too.

Black and white is part of it, no question.  I think small market big market is part of it as well.  Big market = support is popular opinion, small market = support is minority opinion.

i.e. If the media supports Brady a lot of people agree, if the media supports Cam a lot less people agree.  It's all about ratings and clicks.  You need an agreeable sentiment to maintain a majority audience.

But he's a fiery competitor!  A winner!  He's so handsome!  Married a super model!  

Cam was right when he said he's different, and he breaks expectations... The sad reality is that people will deny it's true to protect their own bubble of perceptions we keep around ourselves so we feel better about being terrible human beings...

18 minutes ago, Newtcase said:

Black and white is part of it, no question.  I think small market big market is part of it as well.  Big market = support is popular opinion, small market = support is minority opinion.

i.e. If the media supports Brady a lot of people agree, if the media supports Cam a lot less people agree.  It's all about ratings and clicks.  You need an agreeable sentiment to maintain a majority audience.

Denial exhibit A 

Just now, tondi said:

Brady curses out his teammates, screams at refs,and has been associated with multiple allegations of cheating yet he's the NFLs poster boy and slurped at every turn by the media.  Imagine that.

To me, he is one of the worst teammates in the NFL that is a QB and not a real leader. That is not how a leader acts.

There are only 4 MVP Qbs in the league.   Peyton,  Brady, Cam and Rodgers.       All four of them are poor losers.     Poor losers and MVPS go hand in hand.      

Cam is the only one that gets really called out for being a sore loser though.    Weird. 

Archived