• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It's Been a Slow Free Agency For Us...Or Has It?

SetfreexX

3 hours ago, 1989 said:

My biggest areas of concerns (taking depth into account):

DE, CB, S, T

I actually think we are pretty solid at WR with Kelvin back, Ginn, Funch and the potential in Hill and Norwood.

Hill and Norwood are just two names on a piece of paper. Until they actually play a game for us and produce, that's all they will be. 

7 hours ago, Khaki Lackey said:

We need another 3 tech, but we might go for that in the draft or later in FA post cuts. Doesn't need to be starting caliber.

I hope we don't go after anymore "veteran leaders." I want youth and speed. Our young core is veteran status now. We don't need any more fossils as Ron seems to favor them a bit too much. Cam and Luke are vets now. Between them, CJ, TD, Ginn, Khalil, Stewart etc. I don't want to see any aging vet signings for the sake of mentoring. We got it covered.

There is a big difference between having vets, and having positional vets. It is nice when you can add a vet who can mentor to a young rotation.

CB. Is Josh up for that role? Maybe a vet in that group could help.

D-line. We have CJ. Soliai is an 8 year vet. As well as Short and Stah who are coming into their 4th years. That group is probably set.

LB. Set.

S. Coleman probably has that one, but maybe he can use some help.

O-line. We got Kalil and Oher. So that group is probably set as well.

RB. With Stewy, they are set.

QB. Set.

WR. Does Ginn Jr. count?

So WR, and maybe CB and S, could use a vet for some leadership and mentoring. But only if they can play and push the kids as well. So we still need some vets. Just not many.

Forgot about the TE position. But with Olsen, we are set there as well. So I guess I could have just as well left that one out.

We had a minimal amount of our own free agents, yet we haven't even replaced them. Still need a SS, a nickel, some depth at DLine, OLine, WR just to break even.

Given that we had a good amount of cap space for the first time I thought we'd be a lot more active in the 2nd wave of free agency. We also haven't extended Norman or Short.

I'm not sure what the plan is exactly but this is starting to feel like the 2014 offseason where we regressed from 12-4 to 7-8-1. At least then we had a valid excuse (no money), can't even say that now.

On 3/17/2016 at 1:32 PM, Khyber53 said:

Splash moves are for teams with glaring needs, general managers on the hotseat, and dumpster fire franchises.

We're really not any of those. We're more likely to see a good player poached from the team than for us to pick up a star.

Sit back and rest assured we're in good hands. Just enjoy watching the spectacle of other teams competing to win the off-season Lombardi.

History tells us Super Bowl winners make splash moves. Look at the key players/starters on their rosters.

From the past 7 Super Bowl winners: Aqib Talib, Darrelle Revis, Michael Bennett, Anquan Boldin, Antrel Rolle, Charles Woodson and Jonathan Vilma.

I would be hard pressed to find a Super Bowl winner who did not plug in a couple free agents and a trade or two to be a key factor in winning the Super Bowl.

Free agency factors into the equation of winning a Super Bowl. Stocking a team using free agency will kill a team (must use the draft for that), but it is necessary to plug in a couple key free agents to put a team over the top to win the Super Bowl.

6 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

History tells us Super Bowl winners make splash moves. Look at the key players/starters on their rosters.

From the past 7 Super Bowl winners: Aqib Talib, Darrelle Revis, Michael Bennett, Anquan Boldin, Antrel Rolle, Charles Woodson and Jonathan Vilma.

I would be hard pressed to find a Super Bowl winner who did not plug in a couple free agents and a trade or two to be a key factor in winning the Super Bowl.

Free agency factors into the equation of winning a Super Bowl. Stocking a team using free agency will kill a team (must use the draft for that), but it is necessary to plug in a couple key free agents to put a team over the top to win the Super Bowl.

Ah, so you're back around to this stupid argument again, eh?

Someone else already took apart your assertions once before, but what the heck?  I'm in a mood.

Talib actually signed with the Broncos in March of 2014.  They were one and done in the playoffs that year.  And the Broncos MVP in their Super Bowl win was Von Miller, a guy they drafted.

Revis was signed not as a UFA but after being cut.  And using the Patriots as an example of a team that throws huge money at free agents is pretty ignorant anyway.  The Patriots have built exactly the kind of system we’re building and it’s the offense that drives that team anyway.

Bennett was originally an undrafted pickup of the Seahawks who signed a pretty modest contract (only 4.8 million, hardly a “splash” even then) to be part of what was already a super defense based mostly on – you guessed it – draft picks, and loads of ‘em.  Suggesting it was Bennett that made the difference on an already loaded defense is pretty silly.  But even if you do, that salary isn't a "splash" signing.  It's actually closer to the kind of deal Gettleman would make.

Boldin was acquired by trade in 2010. They lost in the division round the next two seasons but got to the Super Bowl the year after.  So again, calling a guy the ”difference maker” in their Super Bowl run when they didn’t get there until his third season with the team is a stretch even Plastic Man couldn’t make.

Vilma was a trade too, and was coming off injured reserve the year they got him.  They gave him a big contract a year later after he’d already spent a season on the squad.  Worth mentioning that Vilma was a big part of Bounty Gate, but the real fun here is you using the Saints as an example of great management.  What’s their record been the last few years again?

(seriously, you should just become a Saints fan)

These final two examples are your absolute dumbest, though.

Charles Woodson was signed in 2006.  The Packers made the Super Bowl four years later, mostly on the strength of Aaron Rodgers (you know, a guy they drafted).  Defense definitely wasn’t the strength of the team, and using the Packers as an example of a team that goes big in free agency is beyond laughable when it’s well known that the packers are considered the least active team in the free agent market on an annual basis.

Ah, but here’s the crown jewel.

You wanna credit the Giants Super Bowl win in the 2011 season to signing Rolle in 2010.  Definitely not the biggest distance in time among your choices here, so okay. 

But it actually brings up a more interesting question.

Who was the Giants Director of Pro Personnel in 2010, i.e. the guy who was responsible for scouting and choosing which free agents the team went after and how much they were worth?

See, I ask because if Antrel Rolle was the crucial piece the Giants needed per your argument, then that guy would have to get a lot of the credit, now wouldn’t he?

What was that guy's name again?

joker__1_.jpg

Archived