• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Select Zack Sanchez CB Oklahoma in the 5th Round

bobsfoodbasics

A two-time first-team All-Big 12 pick from Fort Worth, Texas, Sanchez has been a stalwart for the Sooners since taking the starting job as a redshirt freshman in 2013. He started 37 games over the past three years, missing two games this fall with a right leg injury. His slight frame worries scouts, and some questioned Sanchez's decision to leave early for the NFL, but there's no doubting his ability to play the ball (15 interceptions, 28 pass break-ups over the past three seasons). Sanchez received 2015 second team All-American notice from multiple outlets, as he not only picked off seven passes, but had 45 tackles, 3.5 for loss, and seven pass breakups.

PRO DAY RESULTS

40-yard dash: 4.5 and 4.48 seconds 
Broad jump: 9 feet, 7 inches

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Three-year starter. Outstanding ball production has been his calling card. Grabbed 15 interceptions during three-year career. Always looking to take the ball reading the quarterback's eyes and taking sharp angles on the throw. Has the hands and athleticism to make difficult interceptions. Great spatial feel in zone shifting from receiver to receiver and squeezing throwing windows. Mirror and match footwork combined with route recognition from man-­off gives him playmaking opportunities. Carries long speed to challenge vertical targets.

WEAKNESSES

Short and rail thin for an outside cornerback. Inconsistent tackler due to size. May not have enough sand to hold up against physical receivers. Reckless habit of diving head first on slant looks only to be burned by "sluggo" (slant and go) routes. Doesn't play as fast as his forty time. Allowed 12 touchdowns over last three years and that number should have been higher (drops/overthrows). Can be turned around by clever routes. Average closing burst out of backpedal.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 5

SOURCES TELL US

"He is fast and talented. I'm always partial to guys who make plays on the ball so I like him. I don't think he's tough enough to tackle so he is probably just a true nickel cornerback who you have to play outside so teams can't run it at him in the slot." -- NFC director of scouting

NFL COMPARISON

Patrick Robinson

BOTTOM LINE

Experienced cornerback who has cover experience against current and future NFL receivers. Sanchez is a feast or famine cover man whose instincts run him into interceptions but also into aggressive mistakes that can cost his own team. His lack of size will work against him on draft day, but his ball production will be heavily weighed by teams looking for coverage help from a third cornerback.

Just now, CPF4LIFE said:

I will say this.....i have been preaching for a while that we needed to add more talent in the secondary and Gettleman seems to be doing just that. I cant knock this draft at all, I really do like it.

Exactly....we basically had Bene and Boykin and not much behind that.  We took 2 big, fast, argyle tic corners and then a slightly smaller cirner with good speed and who is very instinctive.  Wilkes now has some young talent to develop one mold.

LCB: Bene Benwikere - Robert McClain - Zach Sanchez
RCB: Brandon Boykin - Daryl Worley - James Bradberry
SS: Kurt Coleman - Colin Jones 
FS: Tre Boston - Dean Marlowe

I like the effort DG is putting in trying to fix a weakness. I just wish he showed this amount of attention to the offense when we were fielding Chandler and Bell as our tackles and a little more to the WRs that have drop problems. 

I'd also love to see us bring back Peanut to help mentor these young guys and have him on the outside with Boykin inside on nickel and dime packages. 

Archived