• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rapoport: Panthers, Short engage in extension talks

jdpanther5

1 hour ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

wouldn't surprise me tbh

It would me. Gettleman values hogmollies probably more than anything else. Hogmollies that are the best at their position at getting to the QB, and not in any way a locker room distraction? Dave gonna be stuffing them $100s in KK's jock strap faster than he can say fanny

3 hours ago, sml1950 said:

Generally when a player signs with a year left on his contract, the team can negotiate a discount.  The player gets money sooner and gives up a bigger contrat in lieu of a possible injury or reduced level of play.  Gman is probably offering top 10 but not top 5.  If KK wants that he'll have to get it next year.  There's always a tradeoff between risk and reward.

Was just thinking this. Get that 15 mill cap hit per year down to 11-12 with some immediate lovin'.

3 hours ago, sml1950 said:

Generally when a player signs with a year left on his contract, the team can negotiate a discount.  The player gets money sooner and gives up a bigger contrat in lieu of a possible injury or reduced level of play.  Gman is probably offering top 10 but not top 5.  If KK wants that he'll have to get it next year.  There's always a tradeoff between risk and reward.

Seems like a great plan to use some of next years money on KK and aim for more team friendly salaries down the road. This would be a win win for the team and him.

I said this yesterday in a post that Short is going to get paid a great deal if he wants to be here. Could he get a few million more if he becomes a free agent after another great year? Most likely yes. But he will be one of the top 4 DTs in production  and pay.  Number 1 is Suh at least by pay and that was just stupid money to pay him over 19 million a year. McCoy is 3rd at 15.8 million and Atkins is 4th at 10.6 million.  

I think it will be somewhere between Atkins and McCoy. Playing for the Panthers is worth the difference between what we will pay him and trying to break the bank somewhere else. We want players who want to be here and aren't just about the money. Let's be real here, he is going to have 35-40 million guaranteed and will average 14 million a year. I predict 5 years 70 million.  Luke got a 5 year 61 million contract. So anything higher than that is a huge salary for us.

I am prepared for the contract negotiations to be stalled due to a lack of compromise by both parties while being far apart on contract values.

KK knows he is going to get paid Olivier Vernon type numbers. $16m to $17m per season.

Gettleman will want to pay him $7m to $9m per season.

The guaranteed money will always be the sticking point for Gettleman with all the big star players. Cam and Luke got it, but that was because they were the anchors. No one else will get the big guaranteed money. So, expect all the good players to walk and be replaced like Norman, KK, KB, Star, and Trai Turner. They all know there are teams ready to give them the guaranteed money they want.

Your only hope for those players staying with the Panthers is if they choose to take very little in guaranteed money, or Gettleman gives them all big contracts with half the money guaranteed. Both options are highly unlikely and we all know it.

9 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

I am prepared for the contract negotiations to be stalled due to a lack of compromise by both parties while being far apart on contract values.

KK knows he is going to get paid Olivier Vernon type numbers. $16m to $17m per season.

The guaranteed money will always be the sticking point for Gettleman with all the big star players. Cam and Luke got it, but that was because they were the anchors. No one else will get the big guaranteed money. So, expect all the good players to walk and be replaced like Norman, KK, KB, Star, and Trai Turner. They all know there are teams ready to give them the guaranteed money they want.

Your only hope for those players staying with the Panthers is if they choose to take very little in guaranteed money, or Gettleman gives them all big contracts with half the money guaranteed. Both options are highly unlikely and we all know it.

You're fuging loony, if you really believe that nonsense.

10 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

You are so bad at this.

Archived